Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

6 years old and arguing

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

My 6 year old daughter seems to think lately that she needs to argue about EVERYTHING!  Some examples are like last night she was to brush her teeth, I heard her only brush her teeth for literally less than 30 seconds and then she argued that she did brush them good after I told her I heard her brush them for such a short time. She was playing the xbox and I told her that she had 10 minutes left, then at 5 minutes I let her know 5 more minutes. I lost track of time doing my homework and she got an extra 5 minutes, when I told her it was time to turn it off she argued it hadn't been 10 minutes, I explained that she got an extra 5 minutes because I lost track of time and she argued no I didn't over and over. She takes a shower every other day and on shower day she will argue that she took a shower yesterday when I know for a fact she did not. She doesn't just argue for a second and let it go, she can be relentless if I don't put my foot down. It is getting to the point that when I tell her she needs to stop arguing, she will argue that she is not arguing! I have disciplined by taking away the xbox, other electronics, last night she wouldn't stop arguing so I sent her to bed 30 minutes early, but none of these seem to truly work or fit the crime. 

I would really like some age-appropriate discipline ideas that work for you mamas. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:37 PM
I'm in the same boat!

Ds is 8 though and all morning argued with his football coaches. Idk what to do to snap him outta this!
Osstie
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Don't argue back? Actions speak louder.
UnluckyCharms
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:39 PM

My 6 year old DD is the same way.  When she gets to arguing, I tell her not to argue with me and do what I say.  She's a very well mannered child, so it doesn't take much to get her back on track.

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:40 PM

My son is the same age and argues too.  Taking away electronics especially the xbox works great for us.  Last time we took it away he went without it for 2 days.

We also have him hold a piece of paper to the wall with his nose or do stairs depending on what he's done.  He hates doing stairs so that usually one of the first things I do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Glad I am not the only one, I was expecting a lot of "my perfect child would NEVER argue with me" responses. 

It is frustrating, I want her to be able to express herself, but there is a big difference between expressing and arguing and it is getting very annoying! 

Quoting Anonymous: I'm in the same boat! Ds is 8 though and all morning argued with his football coaches. Idk what to do to snap him outta this!

wamom223
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM

We are going through that with our son that will be 6 in August.  I am not arguing or negotiating with my child.  He had been warned I will tell you once and remind you once any talking back and he loses something.  Sounds to me like the first thing you need to take away from her is the xbox and make her earn it back with good behavior.  How long are you taking away the xbox?  Does she have to show good behavior to earn it back?

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Sigh.. I could have written this post..

helen491
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I like the count down warning you give. Buy a kitchen timer and a calendar, she cant argue with that.

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I don't generally argue with anyone. I say what I think, explain myself for clarity if the debate continues, and then if it's someone I don't need to convince or am not responsible for, I let it go and end the conversation. If it's my child or someone else I'm responsible for, I immediately take action. With my son I put him in the quiet corner until he's ready to speak reasonably, and then I explain why I set the rules and expectations I do and I give him a chance to tell me why he's upset. With older kids, if the communication doesn't work, I jump into discipline. Losing privileges is usually my go-to, because they can earn them back and be rewarded for not being assholes. 

It works for me, my kids, and my younger siblings when I am in charge of them (which now that they are all moving into high school isn't as frequent, but fofr years they were here a lot), but you have to find what works for you guys.

Good luck!

Ask me how you can be of at least average intelligence!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:46 PM

My DD used to be very well mannered, but I am having to really work on it because when she visits her dad he is immature, not well mannered and she thinks the world of him. She comes home saying things like "my bad" instead of sorry, it is an argument to get her to say thank you. I know she knows how to use her manners and behave because after being home for a few days from her dads she starts acting how I expect her to act when shes with me, but then its back to her dads and me having to start over. 

Quoting UnluckyCharms:

My 6 year old DD is the same way.  When she gets to arguing, I tell her not to argue with me and do what I say.  She's a very well mannered child, so it doesn't take much to get her back on track.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN