Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Backpack harness; WWYD?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
We love the outdoors, and spend a lot of time hiking, creek walking, and exploring. DD will be two in August and has been content to ride on my back in a carrier, stopping to play in a creek or a big field. Recently, she's been very eager to get out of the carrier. I'm hesitant because she gets so excited that she books as soon as her feet hit dirt. I would love for her to be able to walk independently, but there are creeks, poison ivy, steep drops, and snakes all over the area. There really isn't anywhere to go that doesn't have these things. I was thinking about buying her one of those backpack harnesses to use when we go out into the woods, but I'm not too sure about it. I don't think it would be a permanent thing, just to be used until she gets the gist of staying on the trail. If you were me, would you use a harness for this kind of thing?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almburr
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Sounds smart to me. Teaches her how far she can wonder.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:39 PM
That's pretty much exactly why we used the harness. More freedom than hand holding, but reined in to a couple feet.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I used one for many of the same reasons.  His was a monkey back pack. he loved it. It made our days outside less stressful. He only used it from 2 to 3. that one summer.

Ladybugemt
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Yes I would. My DD had one for the longest. She loved it! She even still wears the back pack part at 4.
oryxx31
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Yes, absolutely. I use one when needed.
krazymom2boyz
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:40 PM
I used one in all kinds of situations, including some very similar to what you're describing, with both my boys. I loved it, they loved it and all of us were happy.
ThisLife16309
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:40 PM
I would do it
228mommy922
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Yep. I love mine.
mrs.gosnell
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Only if we were to be hiking or something. But in store or the mall, hell to the no.
fairyjester
by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Sounds like a good plan, she can explore yet still stay safe
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN