Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son failed and he refuses to go to summer school...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 464 Replies

My 14 year old made F's in algebra/biology/history, made a D's in English/reading, he even made an F in in P.E. because he refused to participate and wear gym clothes...it was his yearly report card he recieve before the last day and the last day of school was 2 weeks ago. When did he got too lazy to do his school work? He's going to get held back in the 8th grade and he was suppose to attend high school when school starts back. He stays up late a lot and he plays video games a lot and we took it away from him a few times because he wasn't studying. I don't know what happened to him, he was a always a straight A student until he started middle school and his grades slipping a bit and it gotten worse. I've been trying to help my son on his school work while my husband works at the hospital and I even asked a tutor to come over our house to help him but they all left because he never pays attention to them and he been an asshole to some of the tutors. There's nothing wrong with him and we got him checked for ADHD and dyslexia one time and he doesn't have either, the doctor said he's too lazy to do his school work. I grounded him for a month and took away his video games, his iPhone, and he can't watch TV until he actually focus on his education more than entertainment. There's an option that he'll be able to attend high school when school starts back which called going to summer school, he refuses to go to summer school and I told him he'll be held back in 8th grade and he said he didn't care, he even said when he's 16 he's going to drop out of high school and he better not because I want him to graduate and encourage him to go to college. He needs to be thankful of what he has and he has loving parents who wants the best for him and his sister, my husband grew up poor and he even worked as a male stripper so he can save more money to pay for medical school. I just have to be more strict on him and my 3 year old daughter because I want what's best for them. 

Have your and/or your child got held back a grade or went to summer school? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ejkdmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:55 AM

What is he going to do for the summer if not summer school?

lizlaughlove
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:00 AM
51 moms liked this

Yes. We had no problem canceling the cable and locking consoles up for a year or more. Bikes can be locked up. It works. You want your games back, pass all your classes. New games? Make honor roll. In a few years, getting a driver's permit will also be dependant on school performance and participation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Quoting ejkdmom:

I'm a stay at home mother and I'm going to make him read books and studying materials so he can do better hopefully. My husband and I talked and we're going to try him on Sylvan or Kumon. The family will be going to Disney World next month and I don't want to leave my son out so he's going as well. Being grounded for a month won't be as bad and when I was teen I was grounded for 3 months by my parents for breaking my curfew. I was looking forward for my son to attend high school when school starts back in beginning of September 2014. 

Sara-1989
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:05 AM
9 moms liked this
As a PE teacher I laugh at the kids who fail. They aren't the brightest of the bunch.
cdjd23
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:08 AM
19 moms liked this
You took the games away a couple of times, how about permanently. Every time you gave him privileges back it just reinforced his bad behavior. To have such a drastic change from A's to failing everything something had to have happened.
ejkdmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:09 AM
60 moms liked this

If it were my son, he would have no phone, video games, computer or trip to Disney if he is not going to summer school.  Heck, if I couldn't find someone to stay with him I would cancel the trip.  One trip to Disney for you is not worth your son's future.

If you don't put your foot down now you will have a drop out at 16 and an unemployed moocher at 20.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ejkdmom:

I'm a stay at home mother and I'm going to make him read books and studying materials so he can do better hopefully. My husband and I talked and we're going to try him on Sylvan or Kumon. The family will be going to Disney World next month and I don't want to leave my son out so he's going as well. Being grounded for a month won't be as bad and when I was teen I was grounded for 3 months by my parents for breaking my curfew. I was looking forward for my son to attend high school when school starts back in beginning of September 2014. 

So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:09 AM
26 moms liked this
I'm sorry. But my 14 year old wouldn't be refusing to do anything.
Yes, I failed 2 classes in 9th grade and my parents made my ass go to summer school. I had plans that summer too. They were cancelled. I failed nothing else in high school and came home with A's and the occasional B
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:10 AM
You guys don't sound consistent with punishment. Anyway, did something happen at school? Bullying or anything of that nature?
Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:11 AM
5 moms liked this
You need to take everything away permanently, that should include allowance and freedom. He'll feel embarrassed when all of his friends move on and he doesn't.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:14 AM
30 moms liked this
No child of mine would be refusing to do what is required. He would have none of the luxuries in life until he figured his shit out. You are in charge here. Not him. Figure that out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN