Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I regret breastfeeding...EDIT***

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 129 Replies

So there, I said it...I really am not enjoying it at all.  I breastfed my first daughter for only 6 weeks, we had lots of issues so I stopped.  So with this baby I was very determined.  She is now 6 weeks, and I am sitting here hating breastfeeding but I don't know what to do...I want to give her the best food, I want to save the money from buying formula when I can make something better for free, I want to have that bond...but honestly it just sucks! My dh started a new position at work so he is only home and awake about three hours a day, and I also have a three year old.  She is a handful by herself, and sitting for at least six hours a day to feed this baby is just not working! I'm not getting any sleep, and now I'm trying to pump because I will be going back to work soon, but I can't pump while she's eating because she squirms a lot, and if my toddler needs something I need to be able to get it for her or help her with it, so I need the other hand.  So that leaves me pumping after she eats, so now that's more time spent on this.  I don't want to sit and feed her all day long...I want to enjoy the weather, go do things with my girls, I only get so much time to spend when they're little and sitting on the fricken couch feeding and pumping is not how I want to spend it.  

I feel so guilty...I feel like I'm giving up, but I'm sitting here weighing my options and thinking that maybe breastfeeding just isn't for me...

alright ladies be nice please.  I'm just trying to vent as I sit here with a baby attached to my boob at 3 am.  Anyone else feel this way?? What did you do?

edit:  Thank you to everyone who responded and helped with advice, or just a thoughtful response.  I was suprised at how nice everyone was to be honest but you all made me feel so much better about my situation.  I went and talked to my sister, who breastfed her daughter for 18 months, and she helped me a ton.  i told her how i felt, she helped me with pumping and support and I decided to continue breastfeeding.  I'm so glad that i shared my feelings with her and you ladies.  I feel really good about my decision, ad things have been much better in the past week, ive been trying to pu less pressure on myself, and i will take it one day at a time.  Thanks ladies!!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:42 AM

Bump 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:43 AM
Not at all
I love breastfeeding
I do have to say I hate pumping and if I had to work it would be really hard
curvygurl1912
by Renee on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:45 AM
9 moms liked this
I breastfed my dd for a really long time and loved it so I can't relate to what you are going through personally. With that being said, if you are ready to switch to formula, go ahead. You gave your baby the best possible start and you are still a successful breastfeeder. If it is causing you this much stress and you would be happier not doing it, don't let anyone make you feel bad or guilty. You have to do what is best for you and your lifestyle. Good luck momma.
msb64
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:45 AM

If you truely are hating it, then I would stop.  BUT, I found around six weeks to be the hardest.  I was completely exhausted and that seemed to coincide with a growing spurt and non-stop feedings.  Just when I was ready to quit, it got much easier.  I ended up BFing my first for 18 months and my second for almost 30 months.  If you can, give yourself just a couple more weeks before making a decision.

booaura
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:46 AM
No :( I wish I could breastfeed dd. She's four months and on bottled breastmilk right now, since I'm in the hospital. I hate it. But, breastfeeding isn't easy. It's hard sometimes, painful, and takes dedication.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:49 AM

Thank you so much for this response, I am still weighing my options and trying to decide what I want to do but I am literally in tears over your response.  I have felt such a burden and just your kind response, even though you didn't feel how I am feeling is so nice thank you 

Quoting curvygurl1912: I breastfed my dd for a really long time and loved it so I can't relate to what you are going through personally. With that being said, if you are ready to switch to formula, go ahead. You gave your baby the best possible start and you are still a successful breastfeeder. If it is causing you this much stress and you would be happier not doing it, don't let anyone make you feel bad or guilty. You have to do what is best for you and your lifestyle. Good luck momma.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:50 AM

Thank you for your advice 

Quoting msb64:

If you truely are hating it, then I would stop.  BUT, I found around six weeks to be the hardest.  I was completely exhausted and that seemed to coincide with a growing spurt and non-stop feedings.  Just when I was ready to quit, it got much easier.  I ended up BFing my first for 18 months and my second for almost 30 months.  If you can, give yourself just a couple more weeks before making a decision.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you don't get to have the experience you would like.  I wish every mom could have their feeding experience how they want it, and not get so affected by outside influences, like your hospital stay.  

Quoting booaura: No :( I wish I could breastfeed dd. She's four months and on bottled breastmilk right now, since I'm in the hospital. I hate it. But, breastfeeding isn't easy. It's hard sometimes, painful, and takes dedication.

JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:53 AM

I quit breastfeeding my second baby at three months because I had to go back to work. It sucked, but I didn't have the option of pumping at work back in the day.

You seriously are exhausted right now, that's part of why this is so hard for you. It sounds to me like you don't really want to quit, but you can't take it. Why are you pumping now already? Just curious?

Either way, hugs. I'm sure you're a great mom and all will be well!

happymommy1105
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:55 AM
So stop.

If you hate it that much, stop.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)