Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My kid almost died at school today- this is why you can't have peanut butter in school

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM
  • 912 Replies
38 moms liked this
I was having lunch and coffee at my mom's house when I got a call that my 8 year old was enroute to the ER in an ambulance. I fled out the door, leaving my littlest kids with my mom. I even beat the ambulance to the hospital. She has an anaphylactic allergy to peanuts and tree nuts.

Today was their end of the year party. There were treats out and she was eating them, of course. She's awesome about asking before she eats stuff; sometimes it annoys me because she'll ask me if food I'm giving her has nuts in it- like, I'm your mom, I would never give you nuts- but I teach her that's the right thing to do because it's her responsiblity to keep herself safe. I tell her all the time that even if someone tells her there's no nuts, she shouldn't eat it if she's still unsure. She also wears a brightly colored alert bracelet with a cartoon peanut and a slash through it, says NUT ALLERGY all the way around it. Her classroom has a sign with her picture that declares it a "nut free" zone.

So, as she was partying today, there was a bowl of baking chips (like chocolate chips, but not chocolate.). She asked what they were and was told they were butterscotch. She ate them and immediately felt her throat closing. She asked the nearest kid if they were peanut butter (she doesn't know the taste.) The kid tried one and said yep. The teacher overheard the whole thing and was already on the move. They got her to the office, used the epi pen, and called 911. I am VERY impressed and thankful that the reaction of the staff was flawless; they saved her life, literally. Those reactions are scary: she can't breath; she can't talk; she can't even gasp. She has to rely on people being able to decipher what's wrong and then know how to react.

At the hospital she was given Benedryl and a steroid. She was shaken up and physically ill from the epinephrine, and the Benedryl knocked her out. Her twin sister left school in the ambulance with her and was also pretty shaken up. All is good now. They observed her for 4 hours, her lungs sound a lot better and they're about to cut her loose. She's probably going to sleep the rest of the night.

When I talked to the principal, I asked how she got ahold of of peanut butter in her nut-free classroom. He told me everyone was aware of her allergy, the teacher truly thought she was putting out butterscotch chips, no one intentionally brought in peanut butter. I completely understand mistakes and I know they all feel horrible, but it's also a really, really big mistake to me because it's my kid's life. I HATE letting my kids out into the world, so scary.

So when some of you bitch that it's not fair your kid can't have their favorite peanut butter sandwhich at school, you have to look at it from my point of view--is it really hurting you or your kid to leave something at home that could KILL another kid? I teach my kid how to be careful, but mistakes happen, kids share things they shouldn't, etc... It's a really small thing you could do to save my kid's life. I would do the same for your kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:02 PM
125 moms liked this

This is the exact reason that you need to teach YOUR child how to deal with THEIR allergy. It was an accident, but ultimately it's your child's issue. It sounds like she handled it just the way she should have.

ETA: There is NO such thing as a peanut free school/classroom. It can be suggested, however, you can NOT control what others eat outside of school, what may or may not be in their bags/pockets. A school saying they are "peanut free" just sends a false sense of security as is demonstrated here.

B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Thay's scary. We had a kid with an airborne peanut allergy have a reaction to chinese food (fried in peanut oil) in a similar manner when I was a camp counselor.

MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. 100% correct. She did a great job - she asked, she reacted. Everyone did a great job.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is the exact reason that you need to teach YOUR child how to deal with THEIR allergy. It was an accident, but ultimately it's your child's issue. It sounds like she handled it just the way she should have.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Snarknado on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:05 PM
26 moms liked this

did you even read the OP?   SHE DOES. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

Annellyse
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:05 PM
6 moms liked this

My kids' school isn't nut-free, but the classrooms who have kids with peanut/tree nut allergies are nut-free and then the nut-free kids sit separately during lunch.

This past year, my SS had a kid in his class who was a nut allergy and even though technically, he could have taken a PB sandwich to school since they have separate tables, I also know my SS isn't always the best at washing his hands so it was not a risk we were going to take.

I'm glad your daughter is okay.  Sounds like the school did great with taking care of her after the fact at least, but I hope the teachers are more careful from now on.

summerlove3677
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:05 PM
28 moms liked this
Your classroom was nut free. The teacher thought she had butterscotch. Even if the school was nut free, this still would have happen because the teacher made a mistake
katydid150
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Glad she is ok.  

KristyB
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM
95 moms liked this
Anyone who complains that their child can't have PB in school is a complete asshole.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM
I don't see the problem.
AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM
Our elementary school has no ban on peanuts or other foods. My kids are not allergic, so I don't know how they deal with kids who are.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)