My kid almost died at school today- this is why you can't have peanut butter in school
Today was their end of the year party. There were treats out and she was eating them, of course. She's awesome about asking before she eats stuff; sometimes it annoys me because she'll ask me if food I'm giving her has nuts in it- like, I'm your mom, I would never give you nuts- but I teach her that's the right thing to do because it's her responsiblity to keep herself safe. I tell her all the time that even if someone tells her there's no nuts, she shouldn't eat it if she's still unsure. She also wears a brightly colored alert bracelet with a cartoon peanut and a slash through it, says NUT ALLERGY all the way around it. Her classroom has a sign with her picture that declares it a "nut free" zone.
So, as she was partying today, there was a bowl of baking chips (like chocolate chips, but not chocolate.). She asked what they were and was told they were butterscotch. She ate them and immediately felt her throat closing. She asked the nearest kid if they were peanut butter (she doesn't know the taste.) The kid tried one and said yep. The teacher overheard the whole thing and was already on the move. They got her to the office, used the epi pen, and called 911. I am VERY impressed and thankful that the reaction of the staff was flawless; they saved her life, literally. Those reactions are scary: she can't breath; she can't talk; she can't even gasp. She has to rely on people being able to decipher what's wrong and then know how to react.
At the hospital she was given Benedryl and a steroid. She was shaken up and physically ill from the epinephrine, and the Benedryl knocked her out. Her twin sister left school in the ambulance with her and was also pretty shaken up. All is good now. They observed her for 4 hours, her lungs sound a lot better and they're about to cut her loose. She's probably going to sleep the rest of the night.
When I talked to the principal, I asked how she got ahold of of peanut butter in her nut-free classroom. He told me everyone was aware of her allergy, the teacher truly thought she was putting out butterscotch chips, no one intentionally brought in peanut butter. I completely understand mistakes and I know they all feel horrible, but it's also a really, really big mistake to me because it's my kid's life. I HATE letting my kids out into the world, so scary.
So when some of you bitch that it's not fair your kid can't have their favorite peanut butter sandwhich at school, you have to look at it from my point of view--is it really hurting you or your kid to leave something at home that could KILL another kid? I teach my kid how to be careful, but mistakes happen, kids share things they shouldn't, etc... It's a really small thing you could do to save my kid's life. I would do the same for your kid.