Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms shouldn't freak out if another adult corrects their child.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 385 Replies
38 moms liked this
I'm going to jump right into my example here:

Yesterday, at a crowded playground. A bunch of kids were playing on that metal spinner thing (not sure of what it's called but a bunch of kids sit on it and usually one or two kids spins them around).

Anyway, four or five kids were packed on to this thing and there was a young girl spinning them. She was spinning them quiet fast and a few of the kids started screaming for her to stop so they could get off. The girl was not slowing up, in fact she thought this was funny!!

Her mother was less than ten feet away on a bench doing nothing to stop her. Eventually, another mother walked up to the girl, gently placed her arm on her should and said something along the lines of "please stop you're going to make the kids sick." WELL, THIS got the little girls mothers attention. She flipped out! Yelling screaming, "don't touch my child" "she did nothing wrong" "I can handle my kids" ect. And what shocked me even more was that three or four moms got up and AGREED with her!!

I'm sorry I understand it's a scary world we live in these days but this was another child's mother simply doing you a favor. Your daughter was being a little brat and now she will continue to be a brat because she sees mommy will stand behind her when she does something bad.

Personally, if someone, be it a teacher, a parent grandparents, corrects my child, for a legitimate reason, I give them full permission to do so. Children need to learn to respect their elders and they need to realize that their are rules EVERYWHERE they go, and they aren't always the same as mommys rules. Sometimes you aren't going to agree or like them but you have to follow them or else their will be repercussions.

What happens when your kid goes into the work force and they don't agree with work place policy? Are you gonna come in and tell their boss off for them? No. They won't be able to hold down a job because they don't like the rules.

Agree, disagree?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DameDeLaMer
by (that girl) on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM
25 moms liked this
I think it totally depends on the situation and how it's handled.
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM
6 moms liked this
I totally agree. I have to correct kids at the park all the time. I hate when big kids are on the toddler playground and are pushing past my little kids. I always tell them to play nice or be careful. Sometimes I've even had do ask them to go play on their own playground. I've never had a parent come at me tho. Usually they apologize and make their giant 12 year old go play somewhere else.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM
31 moms liked this
She shouldn't have touched the kid, saying "stop" or " be nice" is fine, touching? No.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I would never stand for someone physically disciplining my child but pretty much any situation where she is acting inappropriately I would have to say I give full permission to correct her.

Quoting DameDeLaMer: I think it totally depends on the situation and how it's handled.
lukesmom2002
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM
8 moms liked this

I think saying something to her was fine. She shouldn't have placed her hand on the child's shoulder. It was unnecessary.  I have told kids to knock it off at the park when it was evident their moms were much more interested in their friends or cellphones than watching their kids. I haven't put my hands on a child and wouldn't.  If my son was being a brat I wouldn't be upset if someone called him out but they shouldn't put their hands on him it is unnecessary. 

mommieof38829
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
4 moms liked this
She never should have touched the child. Not her child to handle. A simple please stop or a word to her mother. I handle my child no one else.
jamamama00
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Totally depends on the situation but no, I don't want another parent trying to push their rules off on my kid. Even in the situation you describe....All kids scream on things like merry go rounds. That's part of the fun. All she needed to do was remove her own child.
DameDeLaMer
by (that girl) on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM
If it was a complete stranger I wouldn't be okay with it. But if a friend or say one of the moms at school who I regularly (Like every pick up) talk to.. placing a hand on child's arm in such a case would be okay. I should have added that the who matters as well.

Quoting Anonymous: I would never stand for someone physically disciplining my child but pretty much any situation where she is acting inappropriately I would have to say I give full permission to correct her.

Quoting DameDeLaMer: I think it totally depends on the situation and how it's handled.
Arianna
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM
6 moms liked this

I think it depends on how they correct my kid.  I have no issues with someone calmly and RESPECTFULLY helping my child to understand if he is doing something wrong.

HOWEVER, many adults are not calm or respectful when they attempt to correct the behavior of another person's child.  I have seen many people be down right rude and ignorant to the children of others.

If I was the mom above, first off...I would be correcting my own child BEFORE anyone else felt the need to do it for me.  IF I was so distracted with something else that somehow I DIDN'T see him doing something he shouldn't be...I would have had no problem with the way the woman approached and was calm.

lovemysnugbugs
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this
I've never had a problem if someone corrects my kid. As long as they're not psycho about it, which has never happened.
I wouldn't really want some stranger touching my kid though. Maybe the mom who spoke to the girl shouldn't have touched her, but she was right to say something. Especially if the girl's mom was just sitting there doing nothing. It is so irritating when some kid is acting up at the playground and the parent just sits there and ignores it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN