Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't know how..

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:51 PM
  • 18 Replies
To make mac and cheese from scratch. My dh is a typical southern man and loves it homemade. I have yet to attempt this. Any good recommendations? Or recipes?
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JanineDeer
by Janine on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM

No mac n cheese is better than a  home-made, baked one.   I don't have a specific recipe- I just google one when I want to do one.  

DameDeLaMer
by (that girl) on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:55 PM
I know. I love it too. I'm just terrified I'll ruin it.

Quoting JanineDeer:

No mac n cheese is better than a  home-made, baked one.   I don't have a specific recipe- I just google one when I want to do one.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:56 PM
Have you ever made white gravy?

It uses the same base...
Buggy979
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Easy recipe. .
boil the noodles while they are draining
add 2 to 3 tbsp butter melt it
add 1 1/2 tbsp flour mix
add cup to cup in half if milk. Add s/p/g
Wait till it thickens a little then
add 2 cups of you favorite cheese air till melted then add noodles stir and serve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
housecoatloonie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

ngredients

Sauce

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 cups whole milk {or 3/4 cup evaporated milk and 3/4 cup water}
  • 1-3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1/4 cup Jack cheese, grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt {or sea salt}
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

• Pasta

• 3-1/4 cups penne pasta
  • 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1/4 cup Jack cheese, grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Instructions

Sauce
  1. Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the flour. Continue whisking and cook for 2 minutes.
  2. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Cook until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
  3. Remove from heat.
  4. Add cheeses, salt, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir until cheese is melted and all ingredients are incorporated, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
  5. Pasta
  6. Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Butter or oil an 8-inch baking dish.
  7. Cook penne for 2 minutes less than package directions. (It will finish cooking in the oven.)
  8. Rinse pasta in cold water and drain well.
  9. Combine pasta and sauce in a medium bowl; mix carefully but thoroughly.
  10. Scrape the pasta into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle top with cheeses and then the chili powder.
  11. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

The 'hardest' part is whisking the milk and adding cheese. Just go slow so it doesn't get lumpy. But dude, it's CHEESE. Lumpy or no, it's awesome.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Google is your friend and it is so easy. Pick a baked recipe with lots of butter!

Seagodess
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I dont measure, so here is the basics of what I do. Mix a little butter and flour until its sort of a paste texture. Add milk, let it get hot and keep stirring. Add shredded cheeses. I usually use mostly Cheddar, sometime mozzarella, but you can add whatever you want. Mix it with cooked noodles, put it in the oven for 10-15 minutes and your good. I also usually add a little pepper and garlic powder in the mix and bread crumbs on top.

cbk_mom3
by JayTayGma on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM

I used to bake mine, till my MIL showed me how she always made it, the way DH likes best. I just boil the macaroni, cut up Velveeta cheese into cubes. Drain the macaroni, put it back in the pan. Add a little mik, a whole stick of oleo (margarine or butter, your choice), and the cheese. Stir till it all melts, add a little salt and pepper, and serve. Even the kids love it that way, that's what they always request for birthdays, and I never have any left overs.

DameDeLaMer
by (that girl) on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Thanks ladies. Now to go to the store!
DameDeLaMer
by (that girl) on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Dh likes it baked better I think. It's how his Nanny made it.

Quoting cbk_mom3:

I used to bake mine, till my MIL showed me how she always made it, the way DH likes best. I just boil the macaroni, cut up Velveeta cheese into cubes. Drain the macaroni, put it back in the pan. Add a little mik, a whole stick of oleo (margarine or butter, your choice), and the cheese. Stir till it all melts, add a little salt and pepper, and serve. Even the kids love it that way, that's what they always request for birthdays, and I never have any left overs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)