Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not losing it fast enough!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

So I finally got a dx as having pcos. I've been struggling with weight gain and lose.

I've FINALLY lost 6.2 pounds. It's taken about 7 weeks but heck I'll freaking take it. I'm actually losing and not losing 2 pounds and gaining 5 back like I was.

Well my DR told me the other day I'm not losing the weight fast enough. He wants me on a low to no carb diet. Only eating veggies, meats, nuts, shellfish, and eggs. I don't want to be on that type of diet. I'm losing weight just be lowering my calorie intake and working out.

I'm happy with the slower weight lose but my doctor isn't. He is rude and mean about it and made me cry the other day. Which pissed off my DH because I'm not an emotional crier.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Low carb diets aren't that bad :)
I'm sure he has your best interest at heart, maybe switch docs or just let him know he's being harsh and you don't appreciate it.
lukesmom2002
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this

A woman is only supposed to lose 1 pound a week. You are on track with that. Might be time to find a new doctor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I looked into it like he asked me to. It isn't just a diet, it's a life change. As soon as you start eating more carbs again you gain the weight back because your body isn't use to the carbs.

I have toast and something else in the morning. I don't eat eggs, tree nuts,  peanuts, or shellfish due to my children food allergies.

So why would I start making two different meals just so I can do the lifestyle I don't want?

Quoting nocalmegan: Low carb diets aren't that bad :) I'm sure he has your best interest at heart, maybe switch docs or just let him know he's being harsh and you don't appreciate it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM
Maybe see a nutritionist instead? Lots of gyms have one on staff.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Find a new doctor.  VERY VERY seldom will a good doctor suggest a "diet."  Why?  Because once you're off the diet, it all comes back.

A good doctor will refer you to a nutritionist or dietician.  

Plus, 1 pound a week IS the safest weight loss.  Unless you're so obese you can't breathe under your own weight, this shouldn't be an issue.

And finally, most importantly IMO, he isn't being the kind of doctor YOU feel comfortable and happy with.  Doctor/patient relationships are a vital part of good ongoing care.  If you're afraid or uncomfortable with him, you won't get the care you need.  Period.

JustCJ
by ~yeerp~ on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

a 'diet of' low carb choices would be what I think he meant.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Find a new doctor.  VERY VERY seldom will a good doctor suggest a "diet."  Why?  Because once you're off the diet, it all comes back.

Plus, 1 pound a week IS the safest weight loss.  Unless you're so obese you can't breathe under your own weight, this shouldn't be an issue.

And finally, most importantly IMO, he isn't being the kind of doctor YOU feel comfortable and happy with.  Doctor/patient relationships are a vital part of good ongoing care.  If you're afraid or uncomfortable with him, you won't get the care you need.  Period.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I have PCOS and cut out all sugar and watch my carbs. I also went on progesterone. With PCOS, you're at higher risk for diabetes. With eating right and exercise, I am almost down to a size 6.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Ideally, a plate would be half veggies, 1/4 protein, and 1/4 starches/carbs.  But they should be whole grain.  I could see if OP was downing a box of pasta daily, but if she's losing weight at a steady pace there likely isn't a need to ask that of her.  

And I wonder if his harsh treatment of OP maybe added to the confusion over what he expects versus what she is comfortable changing in her life?

Quoting JustCJ:

a 'diet of' low carb choices would be what I think he meant.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Im working slowly on cutting down I went from drinking a 24 pack of coke a day to only having a can once a week. But that isn't good enough.

Quoting Anonymous: I have PCOS and cut out all sugar and watch my carbs. I also went on progesterone. With PCOS, you're at higher risk for diabetes. With eating right and exercise, I am almost down to a size 6.
MysticNightSky
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM

You can eat carbs, just spread it those out with small meals. You can skip a carb with a meal but you can have carbs and lose weight. Keep your carbs between 15-20 per serving. If you have meal it can 30-45 at the most and this shouldn't be more than once a day. 15-20 would be ideal though for every meal...

Lean meats

nuts

yogurt

healthy fats like avocados

butter is fine in moderation(better for you than margarine which is not healthy) Butter is going to break down better than margarine.

If you have salad then use a non cream based dressing or make your own healthy alternative

Make a few switches ...for example: salmon patties or turkey burgers instead of beef and don't fry it!

Boiled eggs instead of fried

If you have a burger then you only need one slice of bread with the burger on top. If you are eating small meals throughout the day this will be enough+ you can have some veggies as a filler instead of carbs:)

Cheese is a good source of protein  and protein is important when losing weight.

Cut out or cut back on soda! It will make a huge difference

Eating meals throughout the day has made a huge impact on how I feel as well as weight loss. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)