Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No Offense, but...

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 4:44 PM
  • 49 Replies
2 moms liked this
I love my aunt very much, don't get me wrong, but she is the last person I am going to take parenting advice from.

My aunt has 4 "adult" children. When we were kids, she always said my mother was too strict with me and my brothers. Her kids were never spanked or really disciplined at all. She reasoned with them and eventually gave in or they just did what they wanted anyway. She believed in "positive parenting" where the lack of reward was the punishment. Her kids did not do chores because they were only kids for a little while and everything they did was someone else's fault. Now her kids are grown and they all have criminal records. Her oldest is in jail and I am adopting his son. The other three are on probation. None of them went to college and two didn't finish high school. Two live off of PA and the other bounces from one dead end job to another because she can't hold down a job when she's lazy and stoned all of the time. They all have drug problems and they have no respect for authority. They all have multiple illegitimate children with multiple partners and they don't have custody or support them. I do love my cousins very much. We were all so close when we were kids and it has broken my heart to see them waste their lives this way. I pray every day for them to straighten out and do right.

That being said, my aunt accepts what she did wrong with her kids. She cut off support and refuses to bail them out.

My daughter is almost 2 and her grandson, whom I'm adopting, is 3. They have chores. They are expected to clean up after themselves, within reason, and when they do something wrong, they are held accountable for it. If I tell them no, the answer is no, no matter how loud they scream and their temper tantrums are punished. My aunt is always telling me that I am too strict with my kids and that I should give them a free pass because they're little. I explained to her that, giving them a free pass because they're little eventually leads to them thinking that they deserve a free pass when they are adults. My mother flat out told her to leave me and my brother alone because we just don't want our kids to turn out like hers. She wasn't trying to be mean. She got sick of being critisized for raising disciplined and well behaved children and it pisses her off to see her own children critisized for doing the same. When your kids are wastes of space, you are the last person who should be handing out parenting advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Punchyobuns
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Your 2 year old does chores?
norwgnwood
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Offense
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cowgirl_Coyote
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Oops. I'll fix it.

Quoting norwgnwood: Offense
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:02 PM
tldr
Pink_Sunshine_
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Offense and you need to condense. This sh*t is too long. What is this long ridiculous post week?
Cowgirl_Coyote
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes she does. We're farm people. If you can walk, you can work. I'm not expecting her to drive the tractor or bale hay or anything. She picks up her toys and she collects eggs, carries feed buckets, little things like that. She loves helping. Collecting eggs is her favorite.

Quoting Punchyobuns: Your 2 year old does chores?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Picking up toys or picking you after yourself shouldn't be deemed a chore. That is the responsibility of every member in my household. I definitely don't think a 2 year old should have actual chores.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

glad you are stepping in to help the little one :-)  you may be his only chance at a bright future.

i have a friend that is the same way.  her kids from her first marriage are struggling.   they each have a long list of issues.   the 2 from her 2 second marriage seem to be doing well.   her first DH left her and the kids. she is a great mom, but didn't really seem to make the kids responsible and nothing was their fault.  the 2nd DH was a military man who was about order, structure, discipline, responsibility.   you can tell the difference in the 2 sets of kids - a BIG difference. 

Punchyobuns
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Are we talking two like 24 months or like 32 months? Because my two year old is like ooh a bucket Imma dump it over yay I'm helping.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote: Yes she does. We're farm people. If you can walk, you can work. I'm not expecting her to drive the tractor or bale hay or anything. She picks up her toys and she collects eggs, carries feed buckets, little things like that. She loves helping. Collecting eggs is her favorite.

Quoting Punchyobuns: Your 2 year old does chores?
Cowgirl_Coyote
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:15 PM
I disagree. We're farm people. If you can walk, you can work. She's not driving a tractor or baling hay. She does little things like collecting eggs or carrying feed buckets. She loves helping, especially collecting eggs.

Quoting Anonymous: Picking up toys or picking you after yourself shouldn't be deemed a chore. That is the responsibility of every member in my household. I definitely don't think a 2 year old should have actual chores.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)