Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A teen is NOT a child!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM
  • 348 Replies
4 moms liked this

Here is a BIG pet peeve and something that actually damages the relationship between you and your teens - calling them children.  A 15+ or so is not a child, but rather, a young adult.  They will have relationships, they will be adult level relationships, and they will have sex.  I first had sex at 15 with a guy I had been dating a few months and truly loved.  We  were monogamous.  I took the pill religiously, which was provided to me by my Mom, and didn't get pregnant.  We were in a stable relation until my 20s, when we grew apart as I went to college.  The break-up was painful because we were still in love.  Where are the parents that can recognize this, instead of treating them like romper room until they are 30?

by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:01 PM
35 moms liked this
They are not adults. Legally or mentally
redheadedharlot
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:01 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:02 PM
14 moms liked this
I was not financially independent of my parents until about 24. Financial independence is a huge indicator of a child vs. an adult.

I will treat my children as children until they're out of my house and quit needing me to bail them out of problems.
redheadedharlot
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I was, but that was before the age of infantilizing until age 30.

Quoting Anonymous: They are not adults. Legally or mentally

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:02 PM
6 moms liked this
Alrighty then! I have 3 kids who are 20, 19 and 16. I still call all of them my babies, BC IDC how old they get, they will always be my babies! And none of them care that I call them my babies either!
Heisenberg
by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:03 PM
12 moms liked this

Disagree. Of all my parents faults, one of their biggest ones was treating me as an adult by the time I was 15 or 16. In retrospect they failed to protect me or give me tools for a successful adult life.

CaliUnicorn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:04 PM
13 moms liked this

Their brains are underdeveloped and they exhibit poor decision making and impulsivity, and irresponsibility among other things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:04 PM
I thought I was too. But now as an mature adult I know for a fact I was by far an adult. Legally my parents were still responsible for me mentally I wasn't ready to make adult decisions even though I thought I was.

Quoting redheadedharlot:

I was, but that was before the age of infantilizing until age 0.

Quoting Anonymous: They are not adults. Legally or mentally

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:04 PM
15 moms liked this
No 15 year old is mature enough to have sex or be in an adult relationship or deal with the consequences of either.

Quick eta:many won't agree because they were the exception....that's nice but again, no 15 year old should be having sex or in an adult relationship
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this
No, no, no and more NO. They are children.

And on a random side note, that bitch from Romper Room never said goodbye to me!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)