Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Im Jealous of my Stepdaughter

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 677 Replies
First off...this is a vent. I care very much about my stepdaughter and her well being and I do not want to get between her and my husband.

Anyway. I have an 8 yr old stepdaughter and a 10 yr old stepson. They are with us for the summer. While I've been around them before at Christmas and our wedding, this is the longest time we will have stayed together living in the same home.

My stepson is not an issue. He is very independent and does his own thing happily whenever we aren't busy doing family things. My stepdaugHter is a totally different story. She is constantly up my husbands butt, following him around begging for constant attention. She,s always bored. Always wants my husband to entertain her, can't entertain herself for 5 minutes. She even barges into our bedroom looking for daddy when we are in there with the door closed.

I was ill the other night (I have serious health problems that make me very sick sometimes and my husband generally sees to my needs when things are bad) and my husband couldn't be there fir me as he usually is because she insisted on building a fort. My husband and I put in a scary movie last night at 11 o'clock after the kids bedtime and wanted to spend some time cuddling on the couch but we ended up having to take it off and out in a family movie and she proceeded to get in between us on the couch and insisted he snuggle her because she couldn't sleep.

My husband is going back to work tonight after a week off and I'm not even getting to spend any time with him because she decided NOW is time for him to take her out on the 4 wheeler which she refused to do all week because she was too scared.

I realize she is his daughter and kids come first. I also realize its a new situation for her and we will have some growing pains adjusting. But I find myself resenting her more and more and then feeling guilty for feeling that way. I feel like he needs to spend time with her but not at the expense of his marriage and our needs as a newly married couple. I don't want to end up hating this child. She is actually very sweet and fun and good hearted...but I need time with my husband too.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just hormonal because I'm 7 weeks pregnant :/
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CaliUnicorn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:01 PM
39 moms liked this

You're kind of being an asshole.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:03 PM
9 moms liked this

You sound incredibly childish.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:03 PM
22 moms liked this

So, your husband hasn't seen his daughter since Christmas and you're pissed that he wants to snuggle on the couch with her instead of you?

Wow...you need to grow up.

ragdoll7777
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:03 PM
8 moms liked this

She doesn't see her dad enough, of course she's needy, plus she's a girl and they're usually close to their dad. Try to put yourself in her shoes since YOU are the adult here. She'll leave after the summer and you'll have your husband all to yourself, for now..learn to share.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Im not trying to be. I haven't said anything to him or her. I'm just feeling very lonely and left out since she got here. It sucks feeling jealous if an 8 yr old but I can't help it. My husband pays me so much attention normally. He pets me and spoils me. It's hard taking a back seat to someone else. Even his daughter.

Quoting CaliUnicorn:

You're kind of being an asshole.

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:04 PM
6 moms liked this
Its rough because you aren't used to it and she needs more attention because she has missed him. You need to have your pity party and then get over it. She needs her dad and while she is there your needs will come 2nd or even 3rd.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM
4 moms liked this
It would be fine were it not after bedtime. After 11 is OUR time. Shes 8 not a baby.

Quoting Anonymous:

So, your husband hasn't seen his daughter since Christmas and you're pissed that he wants to snuggle on the couch with her instead of you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM
It would be fine were it not after bedtime. After 11 is OUR time. Shes 8 not a baby.

Quoting Anonymous:

corticosteroid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM
49 moms liked this

Never mind that her universe collapsed and her family is all busted to shit and there's this new lady involved and a baby on the way and New Lady has health issues and seems reallyreallyreallyREALLY needy and shit and I know you said it's a vent, but I still kind of want to punch you because you sound like a whiny toddler.

nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Just try to constantly remind yourself: she's only a little girl. She's not doing any of this with the intent to hurt you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)