Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Summer survival packs*

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:47 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this
I live in Arizona and keep a large cooler filled with bottled water and ice in the back of my Subaru in the summer time. I also have bags with sample sized deodorant and tooth brushes and toothpastes donated by a local dentist. I put together bags with toiletries and some small protein rich snacks and pass them out to the homeless in my area. If I see someone with a sign I stop and offer them a bottle of water.

Some people in my family are totally against this and say I'm enabling the homeless to remain homeless. I tell them by helping these people stay hydrated and healthy I am actually saving the taxpayers money because these people would end up in the hospital from heat stroke otherwise. I also keep several cheap umbrellas and rain ponchos to pass out during monsoon season.

Do you do anything like this where you live? How do you feel about people who do this? Is it helpful or just another handout?
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:49 PM

No I don't. 

Nor do I believe for for one minute that your family is stupid enoigh to think a bottle of water is "enabling" them to be homeless. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM
The majority here are fakes. They make hundreds of dollars a day. We have a very good shelter.system in our area.

I will nuy food if approached at a restaurant but never give Cash
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

My mother purchases coats year-round at Goodwill, Yardsales, and such, and hands them out the homeless when it gets wintery outside. She's a good lady, and so are you. :)

Ginger0104
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I think its awesome you do that.  To be honest, it's never occured to me to do so.

If a cold bottle of water is enabling someone, then they have bigger issues at hand than being homeless. 

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM
We used to haw a homeles lady come in to the store every day that lived under the board walk. We have her a free sub and soda
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneckmama4
by Loree on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM
It's a very nice thing to do, especially in AZ. I was raised in the heat of Lake Havasu and then the Prescott area. Homeless and heat don't mix well.

Our homeless problem here is bad, for a town the size of Missoula. I don't offer anything though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM
I'm in az too and I stand being outside in summer. Even just to walk to my car! Ivan imagine how horrible it must me to be stuck it 115+ heat all day with no where to go and no water.

I think what your doing is amazing :)
katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Its not just a bottle of water. Its whatever toiletries I can get cheap or donated along with snacks I buy out of pocket and other assorted items such as chapstick and small toys if they have children with them. I put together small packs and pass them out. I also will include baggies of ice from the cooler to help lower body temps during the hot summer months.

I never said my family was stupid? I simply stated they don't agree with it and the reasoning they gave???

Thanks for offering your opinion though!

Quoting Anonymous:

No I don't. 

Nor do I believe for for one minute that your family is stupid enoigh to think a bottle of water is "enabling" them to be homeless. 

iamanon
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Many of them are fakes.  Either way though a bottle of water is a very kind gesture.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:55 PM
How do you know they are fake?

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: The majority here are fakes. They make hundreds of dollars a day. We have a very good shelter.system in our area.

I will nuy food if approached at a restaurant but never give Cash
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN