Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

All you supply haters, come here! PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:15 PM
  • 57 Replies
4 moms liked this

I'm not going to cut and paste the whole article because it's long.

But here is a blog about how teachers spend their own time and money to create and inviting classroom environment from nothing.

Have you ever really thought about what a typical classroom must look like the day the teacher moves in?

The first one shows after and before. The others are what the rooms look like when the teacher first moves in. The blogs has more pictures of decorated rooms to contrast these.

bc classroom

So I wonder if some of the mothers who get so upset about buying markers or notebooks to stock a classroom have ever stopped to think about all the things they aren't asked to supply. Typical schools give teacher $50 a year to stock theirentire room. That is supposed to cover everything from posters to hang on the wall, to books for the classroom library, to supplies for the students to do crafts with. Obviously it doesn't go very far. Especially for a beginning teacher setting up a room from scratch it costs hundreds of dollars to get a classroom to look warm and inviting.

So before you complain about buying expos for the teacher stop to consider how she buys for your child's benefit.

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CarSeatKellie
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:16 PM
I read this on fb!

CarSeatKellie
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Check this site out. Look at the love and dedication put into these classrooms.

http://www.theschoolsupplyaddict.com/room-setup.html
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

MIL is a teacher. So I get it. But still. I'd rather not have to buy things like pencils, erasers and stuff that parents should be sending with their kids anyway. 

CarSeatKellie
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:20 PM
I don't like dogs but this is so unique and classy! Lots of time put in.

http://www.schoolgirlstyle.com/2012/09/dog-collection-woof-woof/
RazzleMySpazz
by spaztastic on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:22 PM
My mom is a teacher and so are several other family members

I've been there to help set up classrooms before so this doesn't surprise me. :)
ttriddick
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:22 PM
I get it, I so get it. We always supplied extra papers, pencils, glue, snacks, etc through the year when my son went to public school. Our state pays their teachers less than any other state. So when people start bitching about supplies it really upsets me. They need to be mad that the schools don't cover more and do something about it. Not just bad mouth teachers and refuse to send any in. It's not the teachers fault.
3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Yep.  We didn't have a school library my first year teaching, so I used my own money to create a classroom library.  I spent a couple hundred dollars on used children's books that first year. 

arpazia
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:24 PM
I am beyond happy to give supplies or cash, it's for my kids education. Heck yeah.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Our elementary school in partnership with a local company gives each teacher $500 towards classroom decorations. I think it's swell!

Mommy_Jenx3
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM

I'm one of the odd balls who buys everything on the list and I continue to send stuff in through out the year. I love Sams Club for that.  Never understood the complaining.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)