Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 16 year old son dropped out of school and there is nothing I can do about it...UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 133 Replies

He is 16. I just got a letter informing me that my son just unenrolled himself from school. He was a junior but unenrolled 2 weeks before finals so he did not get credit for that year.

I am so angry and disappointed. I asked him where the hell he had been going when he was supposed to be going to "school" but he didnt answer because he was on his xbox.

I took his xbox, unplugged the tv, and told him to go to his room until his dad comes home. I dont even know what to do. I cant kick him out or force him to get a job(eta by this i mean I cant make him have a good interview and actually get a job. Even if I set up an interview for him he would still have to do good and he doesnt want a job) . I didnt even know he could take himself out of school.

Ugh.

ETA: I am thinking I am going to give him three options: Go to school, get a job and pay rent, or go on complete lockdown until he is 19 and I can kick him out 

ETA he cant get a GED until he is 19 

UPDATE: So far we have gone with lockdown. We removed everything from his room except his bed and a few changes of clothes.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Heck yes you can force him to have a job.  He does not have any diagnosed disorders does he?  Depending on your state laws, you may be able to kick him out but then he would be a statistic of couch surfers.  Why could he not at least wait until after finals unless he knew he would fail them?

2kids2dogs2cats
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM
2 moms liked this

GED, or military school.

I would take every dime to send him if I had to.  The xbox would be sold to help pay for some of it, as well as anything else he loves, not only did he drop out he lied to you,

So sorry momma.

sunsetchick34
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Why can you not enforce and make sure he goes/was going to sch and or force him to get a job????
lilblu399
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM
I would tell him he had the summer to get his GED if he ever wanted to see his xbox or do anything fun again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM
No disorders. I cant make him go to an interview and do well...kwim? I am thinking he is going to have to get a job and pay rent, go back to school, or live under complete lockdown until he is 19 and I can legally make him move out.

I dont know what he was thinking. I mean he has never really liked school but he gets okay to good grades. I feel like I am being punkd or something.

Quoting Anonymous:

Heck yes you can force him to have a job.  He does not have any diagnosed disorders does he?  Depending on your state laws, you may be able to kick him out but then he would be a statistic of couch surfers.  Why could he not at least wait until after finals unless he knew he would fail them?

Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine would be working on emancipation. My kids' only jobs are to finish school. Can't do that, than they can head on off to the big world.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM
I can not enroll him into school HE has too now

I might be able to set up an interview but i cant make him do good there so he gets the job. He doesnt want to work.

Quoting sunsetchick34: Why can you not enforce and make sure he goes/was going to sch and or force him to get a job????
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM
He cant get his GED until he is 19

Quoting lilblu399: I would tell him he had the summer to get his GED if he ever wanted to see his xbox or do anything fun again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

You may not be able to force him, but you could put him in a position where he has no alternative.

Take everything away, leave his mattress, a few changes of clothes, and then arrange a menu for him that provides the very basics. 

He either goes back to school and fixes his actions, or he gets himself a job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:05 PM
He can move out whenever he wants (the laws here are so messed up) but I cant make him leave. I have never even heard of an emancipation here.

Quoting Chris030406: Mine would be working on emancipation. My kids' only jobs are to finish school. Can't do that, than they can head on off to the big world.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN