Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my confession: i'm failing my kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

Dh works tomorrow so, we celebrated father's day today. dd and i made him breakfast in bed and two out of three made cards. Now they are watching the Goonies as I make dinner.

Here's why I feel I am failing them.  I told ods (11) to go out and cut the grass (back yard only for Father's day).  I showed him one pass through and left him to his own.  He came in, no lie 10 times saying he is "done".  I made him go back out and keep finishing.  Cut the lines he missed.  If he would have just listened to me and really watched the first, instead of zig- zagging and going in any direction, it could have been done sooner. Geesh you'd think I was asking him to cut to whole neighborhood.

Mds(8) did the dishes with the help of dd (7). I showed them for the gazillion time how to proper wash the dishes and then put them in the dish washer.  

I am such a broken record.  Constantly showing them how to do it.

Don't get me started on how to properly clean up the bedrooms....

So, today all the electronics are gone. no cell phone, kindle and xbox.  All of them got put up and stored.  They will not be getting them back all summer (or longer).  

Until they start learning to play together, use their imaginations, read a book, play with actual toys, go outside and learn to speak nicely to each other, and for the LOVE OF GOD stop telling me they are bored, they will not get these things back.

I feel like they can't figure anything out for themselves unless I'm over their shoulder showing them step by step how to do it.  They have no common sense or problem solving skills.  It is driving me bonkers.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4girlsmum
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Sounds pretty typical, a few more years and it wont be so bad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Here is to the summer of fun!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I hope it gets better from here on out.

Quoting 4girlsmum:

Sounds pretty typical, a few more years and it wont be so bad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Give them a box with an x on it to play with. A HUGE one. And a drawing pad with an "I" on it.... And art suppilies. That will get the imagination going. :)
cbear2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:36 PM
They r to young for the electronics, good job mom:) my son will have a phone for emergency only when hes 13. He has an ipod n tablet, (no internet, i chose all the music and games on them) hes aloud 2 hrs a week between the two:) hes 8.
TisHerself
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Are you certain you are not being persnickety? Are you a perfectionist? 

I'm all about, "a job worth doing is worth doing right", but remember to keep your expectations realistic. 

feralxat
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM

"I am such a broken record.  Constantly showing them how to do it".

I thought all mothers did this
My 17 yo is doing dishes now, I expect at least five dishes to not pass muster.
He also knows those will be "his" dishes until they are cleaned correctly.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM
The grass isn't perfect. But I do expect that he not have a strip of grass missed the width of the lawn mower. the dishes, they have been doing them for two years now. It about time they have that figured out.

Quoting TisHerself:

Are you certain you are not be persnickety? Are you a perfectionist? 

I'm all about, "a job worth doing is doing right", but remember to keep your expectations realistic. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM
Lol. Yeah I know Im not the only one saying that. But, I really feel like they can't think for themselves. Then, they get mad at me for nagging. Well do it correctly, and I wouldn't have to say go back and do it again. Kwim.

Quoting feralxat:

"I am such a broken record.  Constantly showing them how to do it".I thought all mothers did thisMy 17 yo is doing dishes now, I expect at least five dishes to not pass muster. He also knows those will be "his" dishes until they are cleaned correctly.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Why wasn't this all done yesterday? That's where the fail started.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN