Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What age for sleep away camp?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:15 AM
  • 117 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am sending my 7 year old daughter and twin 8 year olds to camp for 6 weeks this summer in New York. They are really excited about it because this summer we have to miss out on our family holiday abroad because of their brothers health issues. I will go up every 3 weeks to see them on parents day. However, more than one person on here and in real life think they are too young to be away from home that long, and that somehow makes me a cold and uncaring mother that I am sending them away for so long.

What age would you allow your kids go to sleepaway camp for the summer, and how long would you allow them to go for?

by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krissy920
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:20 AM

i went to  sleep away  camp starting at  5, and i LOVED it!

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, you know your own children best. Are they excited? Have they spent a good bit of time away from home before?

V.Dubbya
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd probably be most comfortable around 10. My dd is 7 and just doesn't have the emotional maturity for it so if there was an opportunity now for it, I'd definitely say no.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:25 AM

Whenever she is ready.  She is 8 now and no where near ready emotionally or independence wise.  She has not even been to a sleepover with a friend yet and only one night away with grandma.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:26 AM
3 moms liked this

Honeslty - as long as there is nothing going on like bedwetting, behavioural issues, and you trust them with other adults - I would say 7. Even at closed off locations for ONLY the camp - I always advised them not to go to the bathroom or into the cabin alone.

Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:28 AM
3 moms liked this
I think that's to young for 6 weeks...maybe a week but even still..... I'd say somewhere around 10 sounds about right.
liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this

The longest my kid goes, is 1 week.

CrossStitchMum
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:30 AM
The only school type camps around here are about 4 days and they start in 4th grade
ZPK
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:31 AM
My seven year oldis going for the first time this year, but it's only three days. Lol. I don't think you are awful though.
tinybluemoon
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:33 AM

They only wet the bed when sick, so I am not concerned about that.

Twins are sharing a cabin and DD is the type of kid that will have 10 best friends by the end of the first night, so I am not concerned about them being alone, but that is good advice I will pass on to them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Honeslty - as long as there is nothing going on like bedwetting, behavioural issues, and you trust them with other adults - I would say 7. Even at closed off locations for ONLY the camp - I always advised them not to go to the bathroom or into the cabin alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)