Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Allowance ???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

DS is 11 and has started doing housework without me or dh asking him to.  Im pretty surprised because he's always been a little immature and lazy for his age.  His stepmom sent me text just today telling me that he was also doing housework and helping with his younger brothers at his dads house. Im very proud of him and my dh and I as well as his father want to start him on an allowance.   It will be ethe first time he earns money that no one tells him how or what to spend it on. What do you think would be a good amount for 11 years old? I was thinking 20 dollars a week or 80 at the beginning of the month.  I already know what he would buy - video games... thats about 2 games per month.  idk.. what do you think? too little? too much? What do your preteens get?

The chores- wash dinner dishes, vaccuum every other day, fold laundry, sweep the patio

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Sounds like a good amount to me. I'd add taking the trash out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Excellent idea thank you

Quoting twinmommy27: Sounds like a good amount to me. I'd add taking the trash out.

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:02 PM
Also keeping his room and bathroom clean if it's not normal.

Quoting Anonymous:

Excellent idea thank you

Quoting twinmommy27: Sounds like a good amount to me. I'd add taking the trash out.

mamatink7
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

smart smaller amt so you can raise allowance with more chores as he gets older.                       we will probably do 20$ month (he has autism but really does alot, we dont want him to think we are paying for him to help, just want to say thx for being respectful and listening)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

In my house, we offer the 11 year old $5 a week for chores, but we offer a perk.  We match whatever money is left in his bank at the end of the month, up to $20, if we have never had to ask him more than once to perform a task.  Any task, not just chores related to his allowance.  We have been working on his attitude.  He is going through puberty and not always obedient, sometimes he has selective hearing.  So now, even if we ask him to pick up his dirty socks, if we have to say it more than once he will lose the matching bonus.  He lost it in April, but has kept his bonus March and May.  We only started this in March, but it's working well so far.  And it encourages him to save some of his money to get a bigger payout.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Now that, is actually amazing

Quoting Anonymous:

In my house, we offer the 11 year old $5 a week for chores, but we offer a perk.  We match whatever money is left in his bank at the end of the month, up to $20, if we have never had to ask him more than once to perform a task.  Any task, not just chores related to his allowance.  We have been working on his attitude.  He is going through puberty and not always obedient, sometimes he has selective hearing.  So now, even if we ask him to pick up his dirty socks, if we have to say it more than once he will lose the matching bonus.  He lost it in April, but has kept his bonus March and May.  We only started this in March, but it's working well so far.  And it encourages him to save some of his money to get a bigger payout.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:51 AM

Aww, thanks!  Like I said, it's new so I can't tell you how it will work in the long run, but it's working well right now.  Which is good because I was sick of sounding like a broken record all the time, "pick up ____"  "please pick up _____" "son, you need to pick that up"  "I'm going to turn off the internet if you don't pick that up".  We were lenient about it the first month, we wanted to set him up to succeed.  And I make sure that he looks at me and acknowledges that I have spoken to him when I ask him to do something at this point, but hopefully with time he will learn to listen better without me forcing him to.  He has ADHD inattentive, so focusing is more difficult for him.

Quoting Anonymous:

Now that, is actually amazing

Quoting Anonymous:

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:55 AM

I am not good at telling you this. I personally do not believe in allowance. I do plenty of things for my kids but do not believe I need to give them money for doing things around the home we should all help with. I allow them to have food, shelter, clothing and caring and loving parents. That is my allowance given to my children

The.Last.Rebel
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:57 AM
I would personally do where each chore is a set amount. Also have amounts for chores he wouldn't normally do that he can decide to if he wants to save up for something special b
metalmomma86
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:58 AM
Do the $20 a week. You give a pre teen that much money at once and expect him to do chores all month long it will backfire.
Make him earn it weekly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)