Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Idiot's Guide To Cooking For Dummies--Scalloped Potatoes. ETA 1--ETA 2! ETA 3--Final Fantasy

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM
  • 75 Replies
3 moms liked this

Okay, so I'm not a fabulous cook.  I was never taught how to cook and my husband IS a fabulous cook, so at this late stage of life I'm still learning.  My husband requested Scalloped Potatoes for Father's Day and I have never made them before, so I turned to my CM e-pal Mary716 for a go-to recipe.  She obliged and sent me her recipe and I'm giving it the old college try, with a few adjustments that support my husband's tastes and Mary, I checked them out with Alton Brown first, so I know they're cool.

I obtained four large Russet potatoes and peeled them and shoved them into my food processor with the slicer blade attached.

I love my food processor.  It's so awesome.

Then I changed blades to the grater blade and shredded up all our leftover Medium and Sharp Cheddar end bits, plus four ounces of Extra Sharp Cheddar:

Booyah baby!   

I chopped up a small white onion and got out my Dutch Oven (love my Dutch Oven) and my jar of bacon grease (love bacon grease):

That's onion.

That's onion sautĂ©eing in a blob of bacon grease.  There is some chopped fresh garlic in there too.

3 tablespoons of butter into the pot once the onions and garlic were soft.

I added 3 tablespoons of plain boring flour and simmered over medium heat until it started to look like a honeycomb (thanks Alton Brown!)

This is 1 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream, warmed to room temp in the microwave.

I added that to the butter/flour/onion/garlic shit and bubbled it up until it thickened.

Then I added all but 1/2 cup of the grated cheese, give or take a handful.  Measuring is for chumps.

Booyah!  I mixed that up until it got all melty and awesome.

I buttered a 9x13 glass dish and put half the potatoes in there.

I poured half the cheese sauce on top of that, then put down the other half of the potato slices, then the other half of the cheese sauce on top, then sprinkles on the last of the grated cheese, black pepper, and paprika on top.

It's ready to go into a 350 degree oven for an hour, uncovered.  I'll update with the results!

Thanks to Mary716 for her assistance!

ETA 1:  I just checked the 'taters with 30 minutes to go, I ended up choosing to throw aluminum foil on top for now, potatoes were decidedly firm when poked with a fork.   More updates as things progress...

ETA 2:  Chicken, Feta and Spinach sausages added on too after being browned and plopped on top.  If hers crossed--hope this is awesome!

ETA 3. Final Fantasy--looks good, fork tender.  We'll see how the folks like it!

by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Come on,  I refuse to believe nobody cares about potatoes and cheese.

elzmnsf
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Drool.... I am on the potatoes and cheese train girl!

corticosteroid
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Anybody who isn't on the Potato&Cheese train is lying or insane!

I just want it to turn out fantastic.  The old man never asks me to cook for him, I want this shit to be Epic, word, yo!

Quoting elzmnsf:

Drool.... I am on the potatoes and cheese train girl!

MooseMomma
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:01 PM
OMG looks so good.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Eeew. Onions and bacon grease.

I may try this without those two ingredients though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corticosteroid
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

That is fair enough, Mary716's recipe did NOT contain those ingredients, I added them in because the old man loves my Caramelized Onions, cooked with bacon grease.  

Quoting MIA0223: Eeew. Onions and bacon grease. I may try this without those two ingredients though!

Missdameanor
by Not-a-felony on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:06 PM
This dummy thanks you!! Can't wait to make some! Thanks :)
Peaceful.chaos
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM
I'm coming over.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corticosteroid
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Thank you!

Quoting Peaceful.chaos: I'm coming over.

corticosteroid
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!  I was really terrified until Mary716 gave me her recipe.

Quoting Missdameanor: This dummy thanks you!! Can't wait to make some! Thanks :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)