Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Rehoming our pup.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies
I am heartbroken over the fact that we have finally decided to rehome our dog. We adopted our mini doxie mix almost 4 years ago, pre-kid, and have worked long and hard with a behavioral vet, trainers and tons of patience but we cannot overcome her dog aggression and child aggression. She was doing fine with our baby, but now that he's running and unpredictable she's getting super nervous and snapping at him on occasion.

We decided that rehoming her before she bites and has to be put down was the only choice. She will have a better quality of life when she's not crated for play dates and stressed by crazy toddler behavior (and yes, we supervise them and don't let him bother her).

We found her a new home with a coworker who is an older single woman who just wants to spoil our pup. We have two weeks left before we turn her over and I keep finding myself crying randomly. This sucks. Anyone else have to rehome their dog? It is killing me.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

It's better for her, and for your situation.  

It does sucks, but being responsible in this instance is preferable to the alternative.

MilkLover0203
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:10 PM
I wouldn't feel bad. My child's safety is more important. My parents have small dogs. If they started showing aggression, my children wouldn't go there anymore. Simple.
handy0318
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Yes, we had to rehome one of our dogs. It was very hard to do, but now that he has adjusted to his new home, he loves it. 

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. It's not the end of the world for either of you. 

megz0511
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM
We almost had to rehome our great dane when we had ds but put a lot of work into him and things worked out for us. I'm glad you found someone you know, that's a great advantage.
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM
Yeah while I absolutely love my dogs.....no tears over a dog that would harm my child...none
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM
Nope. Because I'm not a shitty person.
I feel bad for your dog. Please don't get any more
20Keller12
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM
I thought I was gonna have to rehome my puppy, but a friend is doing me a massive favor and keeping her for a while, where I can still see her every day.
bcauseimthemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I did. It did suck but I had to do it after she bit my little dog in the neck. It was a 9 month old English Mastiff puppy.  She didn't realize her size and strength.

Ask if you are able to visit without your child once you rehome the furchild.

It will get easier.  Life is a lot smoother when you aren't worrying about anyone being bitten.

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Yep. For whatever reason she didn't like kids... at all. Acted aggressive to DS and the neighbor kids. She was a bigger dog and could of really hurt them. We found her a nice home in the country with an older couple

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:15 PM
3 moms liked this
I figured at least one would show up.

Quoting Anonymous: Nope. Because I'm not a shitty person.
I feel bad for your dog. Please don't get any more
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN