Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why is "no" not a good enough answer?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies
Does "no" really require an explanation? I have been watching my 9 year old niece today, I don't mind because I want her to have a better summer than she did last year......but I also refuse to treat her better than I do my own kids. All day today its been "can we do this, can we do that?" And all day my answer has been no....which has been followed by a "why not"....."well no we can't go swimming because I don't want to watch 4 kids by myself when my son wants my full attention in the pool".......period.....that should be it.....but it was followed by a "I can take care of so and so" um no you can't because you are not an expert swimmer yourself......and now my mil came home and brought along with her my 3yo niece, my niece whom I love but doesn't listen to ANYONE including her own mother...so my niece asks me if we all can go outside so theu can ride bikes....again its a no because I don't want to deal with two kids who won't listen to me...at least with my son I can put him inside with his father for a few minutes and he is good the rest of the night. But that would put me alone at watching 5 kids by myself while they ride their bikes....no just isn't enough, after all she told me that she would take care of herself, then it was I will take care of the two little ones and my oldest dd would help, so the only one I would have to take care of would be my middle baby.....I just don't want to babysit all these kids...i had three kids because that is all I wanted and that is all I want to take care of....is that not a good enough reason?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iamanon
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:19 PM

If you didn't want to watch your neices why didn't you just say no?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM
I made a similar post and got bashed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM

What do you mean treat them "better"than your actual children?  That is where I am stuck.  I presume you mean be more lenient with explanations rather than treating them better since that makes you sound like you treat your actual children poorly.  I would tell everyone that they need to follow the same rules or they will have consequences whether they be guests or permanent residents of the house.

poietes
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
If you don't want to watch her you should gave said so. And if sitting inside the house all day because you don't want to "deal" with kids is your idea of babysitting then stop babysitting. How boring. I guess I don't blame her, what did you expect them to do all day?
momto2boys973
by Emerald Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:26 PM
It is in my home. IRL we don't always get a "good enough" reason to abide by certain laws, but we have to do it anyway. If my children have the capacity to understand the reason, then by all means. But it's not always the case and that doesn't mean the rule doesn't apply or that they don't have to respect my authority.
But we'll get bashed together :)

Maybe next time use that "no" when asked if you can watch your niece
Amiehart62
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this
No is a good enough answer when one of my sons says why I say because I said no and that is it.

I'm sure I'll get bashed but I don't care.
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Shouldn't have bitten off more than you can chew.

She doesn't seem to be asking to do anything irrational, especially during summer break.

cdjd23
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM
It really sounds like you don't want to watch your niece because it's to difficult to do things with so many kids. How is sitting at home going to make her summer better than the last when nothing is being done.
pasteeater_too
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Why'd you agree if you only wanted three kids to watch over?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:29 PM
Glad your son is good at least
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN