Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL goes behind my back after I say no!!! GAH! **Update**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 197 Replies

First, I am not one of those super freak moms who won't ever let her child have anything sugary/sweet. HOWEVER, my child is only 11 months old and I am trying very hard to keep her diet healthy. Fruits, veggies, and lean protiens, as best as I possibly can. 

My MIL is always trying to shove junk food, fattening foods, and sugar down DD's throat. She seems to think that now that we are giving her table food that it's OK for her to just let her eat anything and everything. DD is petite, we give her more than enough food at mealtimes, but for some reason, my MIL is sneaking unapproved food into her mouth every chance she gets. 

Today for example: we were at the IL's for lunch. MIL had made "Pink fluff" which is marshmallows, canned fruit cocktail, whipped cream, and strawberry jello (uncooked) all mixed up together. I think it's gross. MIL isn't that good of a cook/baker whatever you wanna call it. Anyway, she mentioned that she made some and that she used sugar-free jello and light marshmallows, so it would be perfectly safe for DD to eat it. I said, "well, I'd really rather her not have any of that. She doesn't need that kind of food in her system right now. Her body is still adjusting to new foods." That must have upset MIL because as we were cleaning up dinner I saw her stick her finger, covered in the nasty "pink fluff", into dd's mouth. She looked right at me after she did it and I gave her a look of "are you freaking kidding me?!" She wiped off the mess from her face and said as she walked away, "oh...we'll just have to wait till your birthday I guess." 

I don't expect her not to spoil the kids. Whatever. That's fine. But when I say "NO" it means "NO!" It doesn't mean, "oh mom says no, but it's OK because grandma says yes." Not how it works woman. I'm the mother, not you. If I don't want her eating your nasty sugary junk then she's not going to be eating it. MIL thinks she's making these food healthy by using "light" or "sugar-free" products, but she doesn't even realize that those products are just as bad, if not worse, than the regular stuff. GAH! THE WOMAN DRIVES ME NUTS!!

***Update***

I talked to DH this morning. He was not happy that she had complete disrespect for my wishes. He is planning to talk with her as soon as he gets the chance. He said, "this is a matter of respecting our wishes and doing what we ask. If they can't follow simple requests while we're there, how can they expect us to leave dd with them and trust that they will follow our instructions?"

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Missdameanor
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
This is only going to get worse..I am sorry :(
mhaney03
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:54 PM
8 moms liked this

sugar free jello is full of chemical sweeteners.  She'd have been better off with the sugar.  you MIL is a bitch.

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:55 PM
21 moms liked this

"Linda!Linda!Linda! Listen to me!"

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Yeah, the sugar free stuff is worse than regular sugar. I would have packed up my stuff and left then and there. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:56 PM

It makes me LIVID!!! MIL stuffed her kids faces full of food growing up. Dh and his sister have dealt with weight issues for their entire lives and I'm convinced that it's because of her feeding them junk when they were small. I probably should have said something when it happened, but I was just in complete shock. I specificially said no before dinner and thought it was all understood. Guess I was wrong.

Quoting mhaney03:

sugar free jello is full of chemical sweeteners.  She'd have been better off with the sugar.  you MIL is a bitch.

shell3m
by Shell on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:57 PM
9 moms liked this
I would have walked right up to her and say...i said no and you know that. Keep that up and your visits will be far and few in between......and then walked off with my child.
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Yuck, I would rather them have real sugar than artificial crap.

RayneofTerror
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:58 PM

this is wot grandparents do. also, i make stuff like that. we rather kike it our house. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what I'm afraid of. :( 

I told my mom about it this evening. She shook her head in disbelief. My mom said, "I just want you to know, if you tell us no about something with dd, we don't do it." I responded, "Yeah I know. And that's exactly why you guys get called to babysit and not them."

Quoting Missdameanor: This is only going to get worse..I am sorry :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:00 AM
It's the point of it. I can't believe she looked you in the eye while doing it!

She'd have gotten an ear full!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)