Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pintrist/upcycle/projects

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 5:58 AM
  • 11 Replies

Show me your handy work,  it is midnight and I can't sleep :(

I need to find a new project anyway.

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 5:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:07 AM

GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:21 AM

Awesome! are you looming? I want to learn to sew, I am so far not very good with fabric lol or yarn.

Quoting TableforSeven:

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Yes, I have a floor loom.  I can make fabric up to 36" wide.  

I taught myself to sew (with a machine) about 16 years ago when I couldn't find decent skirts for myself and my daughters in the stores.

I design all the bags that I make from fabric I make on the loom.  I also learned how to make cording - which I use for straps on the smaller purses.  And I bought an Inkle Loom last month to make straps for the larger bags (the last picture is my most recent Inkle Loom project when it was in progress).  I hope to add belts, ribbon, etc using the Inkle Loom.  I also make scarves, shawls (one pictured here) and religious items.

My next project is going to be a baby blanket for my friend's grand baby....but I can't start on it until the baby is here -- and the poor mom has been in the hospital since Friday- still no baby!  :-(   I am so excited to start on the blanket and it is a pattern/project I have never used/done before.  I'm not sure who is more anxious for this baby to be born....me or her grandmother!!  Lol

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Awesome! are you looming? I want to learn to sew, I am so far not very good with fabric lol or yarn.

Quoting TableforSeven:

GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:50 AM

aww! babies! I bet the blanket will be amazing. I have a bunch of coach printed leather that a family member had left over from some custom chairs she had made for her house. I really want to make a clutch, but I have no idea how I will get the cheap needle of my small sewing machine through it, or what the heck is strong enough to hold it together.

Quoting TableforSeven:

I taught myself to sew (with a machine) about 16 years ago when I couldn't find decent skirts for myself and my daughters in the stores.

I design all the bags that I make from fabric I make on the loom.  I also learned how to make cording - which I use for straps on the smaller purses.  And I bought an Inkle Loom last month to make straps for the larger bags (the last picture is my most recent Inkle Loom project when it was in progress).  I hope to add belts, ribbon, etc using the Inkle Loom.  I also make scarves, shawls (one pictured here) and religious items.

My next project is going to be a baby blanket for my friend's grand baby....but I can't start on it until the baby is here -- and the poor mom has been in the hospital since Friday- still no baby!  :-(   I am so excited to start on the blanket and it is a pattern/project I have never used/done before.  I'm not sure who is more anxious for this baby to be born....me or her grandmother!!  Lol

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Quoting TableforSeven:

mary716
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:56 AM
I love that purple bag!

Quoting TableforSeven:

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:57 AM

I'm assuming you can change out the needle on your machine.  Just take the needle in there with you to a fabric store...Joann's Crafts or a local fabric store.  They can help you get the right size for your machine.  Needles come in different types....you need something for denim (or possibly specifically for leather, though those aren't as common from what I've seen).  They can also help you get the best/strongest thread possible to hold it all together.  

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

aww! babies! I bet the blanket will be amazing. I have a bunch of coach printed leather that a family member had left over from some custom chairs she had made for her house. I really want to make a clutch, but I have no idea how I will get the cheap needle of my small sewing machine through it, or what the heck is strong enough to hold it together.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Quoting TableforSeven:

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Thanks.  :-)  it was a Bat Mitzvah gift for a friend's daughter.  She loves purple and pink.  

Quoting mary716: I love that purple bag!
Quoting 

GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Ill have to one day. The fabric stores are like 45+ mins away and pretty shoddy from what I hear. Most of us use amazon I think lol. I can change the needle. I just wonder if the mahine can hold up, it feels slimsy like the little ...arm? / foot thing always want to break off. Its a really cheap brother. I should probably get a little better at sewing first bahahaha

Quoting TableforSeven:

I'm assuming you can change out the needle on your machine.  Just take the needle in there with you to a fabric store...Joann's Crafts or a local fabric store.  They can help you get the right size for your machine.  Needles come in different types....you need something for denim (or possibly specifically for leather, though those aren't as common from what I've seen).  They can also help you get the best/strongest thread possible to hold it all together.  

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Quoting TableforSeven:

mary716
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:02 AM
Very nice! You can't find nice over the shoulder bags like that here, the cloth ones are usually horribly made and break apart. Do you sell on etsy or anything?

Quoting TableforSeven:

Thanks.  :-)  it was a Bat Mitzvah gift for a friend's daughter.  She loves purple and pink.  

Quoting 

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Not yet.  Over the summer, I am going to get set up legally here as a business so that I can start selling withy worry, and DH is going to make me a website.  Once I'm up and running, I promise to say something on CM.

The first bag I made was for myself (the Multi-colored one in the top picture) I have been using that thing to death - every trip we take and every time I leave town, I use it -- I just made a new strap for it because the cording strap (in the picture of it) was uncomfortable when I had heavy stuff in the bag....the strap I was making on the inkle loom picture is the replacement strap and it is perfect.  The purses I use all the time.  Everything is holding up really well.  I full-line all the bags with (store-bought) cotton fabric for extra stability.

Quoting mary716: Very nice! You can't find nice over the shoulder bags like that here, the cloth ones are usually horribly made and break apart. Do you sell on etsy or anything?
Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)