Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Birth Control Failure Is Real

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies
2 moms liked this

Apparently, plenty of people on this site think that birth control failure is an excuse made up by women to cover sleeping around and/or not using anything at all.  This could not be further from the truth.   I researched failure rates for many methods.  While most may seen like a slim risk to ONE WOMAN, the members of this site, I'm sure, add up into the tens/hundreds of thousands.  So, let's play a little game.  First, I'll list the methods and failure rates.  Then, I will calculate the number of failure per a large group of women by the percentage.  Maybe this will open some judgmental eyes...

Number of women                                1,000     10,000     100,000                                                                              

IUD                                        .2 to .8               8             80             800

Injection                                6                      60          600          6,000

Combination pill                 6                      60          600          6,000

Progestin only pill              9                      90           900          9,000

Patch                                    9                      90           900          9,000

Ring                                     9                      90            900          9,000

Diaphragm/cap                12                   120        1,200        12,000

Condom                            18                   180        1,800         18,000

Spermacides                    28                  280        2,800         28,000

Fertility Awareness          24                  240        2,400          24,000

Even tubal ligations and vasectomies are quoted at less than 1%, NOT 0%

Note that the most effective methods, IUDs and tubal ligations/vasectomies, are also the most difficult to obtain and the most expensive.  Also note that some women cannot use any hormonal methods, and must deal with the higher failure rates of non-hormonal methods.  Also note that when applied to the general population, what may seem like a small failure rate translates in real life to significant numbers.

Now, proceed with picking this apart, saying that if someone didn't really want to get pregnant that they should be using 5-7 methods all at once, or find someway to put your own spin on it.

(Figures quoted from:  http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/UnintendedPregnancy/Contraception.htm )

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:10 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:11 AM

BUMP!

CPatt0708
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Well yeah, that's why none of them claim to be 100% effective...with that being said, there are probably a lot of failures which are blamed solely on the BC, when it was probably something the woman did such as taking antibiotics or forgetting a pill and not using back up during that time
TrouserMouse
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:17 AM
6 moms liked this
That totally explains why when there are polls the 70% of the people have had bc failure and many of them have had it happen 3 or 4 times.

I'm sure you have CM all figured out and no one ever lies, exaggerates, or makes mistakes.
TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:18 AM
3 moms liked this

Of course there are failure rates for all types of birth control.  But it isn't the 85-95% failure rate like one would assume from how often ladies on CM claim to have dealt with a by failure.

JC2223
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:31 AM

All birth control methods have some sort of a failure rate. Where are your statistics on how much their normal failure rates increase due to human error?How many woman take the pill and don't know what other substances decrease its effectiveness? How many men get vasectomies and don't go back for the recheck? How many people don't use a back up method when they know there is  higher risk of failure? There are a hundred other ways BC failure is due more to human error than its own rates. Research that and get back to us.

toriandgrace
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:41 AM
My bestie has a Mirena baby. Some explain to me the human error in that one. I'll give you a hint, she didn't pull it out and then shove it back in so she had an excuse for CM.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2014 at 8:04 AM

These percentages are what's called "typical use", and does incude human error in them.  I cited my source.

Quoting JC2223:

All birth control methods have some sort of a failure rate. Where are your statistics on how much their normal failure rates increase due to human error?How many woman take the pill and don't know what other substances decrease its effectiveness? How many men get vasectomies and don't go back for the recheck? How many people don't use a back up method when they know there is  higher risk of failure? There are a hundred other ways BC failure is due more to human error than its own rates. Research that and get back to us.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 8:06 AM
It does happen. But it is also an excuse many women use knowing full well they were ttc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2014 at 8:07 AM

This is why I extrapolated for large numbers of users.  The CM membership is vast, so by statistics alone, it stands to reason that there would be many here with failures.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Of course there are failure rates for all types of birth control.  But it isn't the 85-95% failure rate like one would assume from how often ladies on CM claim to have dealt with a by failure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)