Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you let your 8 year old have an iPhone if...

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM
  • 53 Replies
Someone else was paying for it?

My son who has a Wii a game cube a tablet and a 3ds is now saying he needs an iPhone.

Let me say this, the Wii he got when it first came out years ago. For his birthday the tablet he got 3 years ago for Christmas the 3ds he got this past Christmas. The game cube is mine. But he plays it. He'd like to spend every waking moment playing games but we only allow him an hour or two every few days.

Now, he's wanting an iPhone for the games he can play on it... And my mother keeps telling us that she is getting him one when its time to renew her contract. Dh and I have put our foot down over it and refused to allow it. An 8 year old with a cell phone is insane. He doesn't know how to text and even if he did, the only people he could text were myself dh and my mom as none of his friends have a cell phone. Dh and my mom got into a spat about it the other day because she continues to insist she WILL be getting him a phone and we are saying we will not accept it.

She says he needs a way to call her. Um OK we have a house phone her number is programmed in it. All he has to do is find it and hit the call button. And dh and I both have cell phones. Sorry mom but I win this one. My 8 year old does not need an iPhone!
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
T-Rentsmommy06
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM
No 8 yr old in my home would have a phone. She'd be wasting her money here.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:28 AM
I agree with you. My ds won't be getting one before he hits his teens.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this
She has boundary issues!
Osstie
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:28 AM
You're the parents, so what you say goes. Sounds like grandma needs to be put in her place!
latsyrk
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this
My just turned 10 year old has an iPhone. We have icloud. He can't even take a pic Or text without me seeing it. I can also track him to in exact address if I wanted to. Its convenient for me. And he knows how to texts because he texts me alot lol
Chibee
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM
4 moms liked this

In my home, the money would have nothing to do with it.   I don't believe that a CHILD needs every single gadget and electronic device to play with.   GO OUTSIDE.

LyTe684
by Emerald Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM
No.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Heck no. I'm a SAHM so I go with my girls wherever they go 99% of the time. I take them to Karate and stay there as they don't allow the parents to leave. When we go to Church, they know where to find me. My girls have no need for a cell phone and well, we don't like apple products so they wouldn't have an iphone anyway. There is no way we would allow our girls to have one. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

4girlsmum
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:31 AM

My 15 yr old doesnt have one, even after years of begging for one.....sorry, but an old fashioned flip phone is all you are getting.......those Iphones are a huge privilege and come with a huge responsibility that children just are not ready for.....IMO

Medic32
by RN=Rescue Ninja on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Mom would be spending no time with my child of she thought she had ANY say in anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN