Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should Brain-Dead Women Stay on Life Support Until Their Baby Is Born?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:48 AM
  • 158 Replies

Should Brain-Dead Women Stay on Life Support Until Their Baby Is Born?

by Maressa Brown

life support machinesPoliticians in Louisiana have passed a bill that requires physicians and hospitals to keep brain-dead pregnant women on life support, which Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal may soon sign into law. The goal of the law is reportedly to "permit the continuing development and live birth of an unborn child," in spite of a mother remaining mentally incapacitated.

While lawmakers of course believe they have good intentions, this is a troubling move to many, like Ilyse Hogue, President of NARAL Pro-Choice America, who told MSNBC, "When women suffer unimaginable tragedies in our pregnancies that render us incapable of making our own decisions, those are best left to those who know and love us and to the medical professionals who are charged with our care." Right on. Since when does the government know better than a pregnant woman and her loved ones? 

This only serves to highlight how important it is for expectant moms to discuss matters like these with their partners and loved ones. Of course it's not something that we necessarily want to think or talk about while anticipating one of life's most momentous, joyous occasions.

But being pregnant presents in itself a bevy of what ifs, and one of those is what if tragedy struck? What would you do if you were to be on life support? If you were able to make the choice, what would you want for your own welfare -- and for your baby's? Would you want to be kept alive if it gave your baby a chance to pull through?

Ultimately, the decision to pull the plug or not to is a deeply personal, tremendously difficult one. One best left to mothers and their partners, their mothers, and their health care providers. But women in Louisiana are going to have to gear up to fight to make that so.

As a mom, what would you want to do?

Image via ©iStock.com/flubydust

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

it would depend on how far along i was. There are risks for the baby as well.

zeenah
by Zarah on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this

If I became brain dead in the nearbfuture. I would want my child to live. I know Dh would take care of the baby. And I wouldn't want the baby to die with me. I think it should be up to the family though.

Big sister to be! Nov. 2014

T-Rentsmommy06
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM
5 moms liked this
I would want to. As for the other moms, so long as they knew they were pregnant I feel like they would as well. If it is a life you wanted and were looking forward to, loved, etc why wouldn't the moms want their life to be extended until their child could be born? Maybe all pregnant women need to make a living will at their first pregnancy appt to keep from any confusion. ..
absolute.chaos
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM
24 moms liked this

if someone has a dnr and other end of care speciifications, they should be honored whether they are pregnant or not. That decision should be left with the patient and their family, NOT a politician.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this

Quoting absolute.chaos:

if someone has a dnr and other end of care speciifications, they should be honored whether they are pregnant or not. That decision should be left with the patient and their family, NOT a politician.

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I would want to if I was close to my due date and the fetus had remained viable. I wouldn't want to stay on it for months or stay on it to have an unhealthy baby.
TB78
by Tasha on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:53 AM

If the baby is still alive and healthy inside the mother then I see no point in terminating the mother's life. now if the baby inside the mother is only under three months old, then they should unplug the mother sad to say because I wouldn't think that the unborn baby would survive much longer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:53 AM
That is a decision that should be left to the family member responsible for decisions...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:54 AM
I'd hope they'd leave me on to save the child. I think it should be up to the family though.
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:55 AM
5 moms liked this

No. Anyone remember the woman in Texas? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN