Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

drug O.D. Advice for a friend PLEASE and a sort of Update.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
My girl friend at work just called me and I knew something was up before I even answered the phone because she NEVER calls. Only texts me. I expected her to tell me her bf broke up with her or that she was p g and terrified but instead I answer the phone to a hysterical girl that just found out her bf overdosed on drugs the night before. I feel so bad for her. She knew he was smoking weed but not into hardcore stuff. He's the first person she's loved that's ever died. She is devastated. She says she doesn't even want to come to work anymore because he worked with us. I just can't believe he did that. I can't believe something so tragic happened to her and just yesterday she was so happy and smiles everywhere. I feel so terribly bad for her. :-( I have never had this type or thing happen to me. I have had people die but not overdose from a drug problem. Have you lost anybody to a drug problem? How did you deal with it? What advice can I tell her that will help her, besides obviously counseling.

If it was you who lost someone, how did you help to handle the loss?

My friend also told me that on Fb now his ex gf is messaging her saying that they were closer then ever and she can't believe he's gone and all this stuff that indicates they were probably closer to more then just friends. I told my gf that it doesn't matter because she was happy with him and he is gone now. I really want to get a hold of his ex and tell her to knock it off and leave it be because he is gone and they are hurting enough without cutting the wound deeper.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Osstie
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:46 AM
My husband has been sober 12 years, so we have a lot of friends who are in recovery. It is all around us. It's a fear that all of us live with daily. I HATE this disease.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:49 AM

My sister passed in 2010 to methadone od. She was trying to come off prescription pain pills. Her husband didn't give a crap about her and was partying at all hours of the night that night. He had/has serious issues. He had narcissism issues before he went into the military and decided he was all high and mighty after. He was cheating. They had a son together and my nephew now lives with another of my sisters. I still miss my sister.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:40 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. Both for you and your nephew.
Quoting Anonymous:

My sister passed in 2010 to methadone od. She was trying to come off prescription pain pills. Her husband didn't give a crap about her and was partying at all hours of the night that night. He had/has serious issues. He had narcissism issues before he went into the military and decided he was all high and mighty after. He was cheating. They had a son together and my nephew now lives with another of my sisters. I still miss my sister.

Scurrilous
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I grew up in a town where Oxycontin became a huge problem in the early 2000s (when I was a teenager/young adult) and as of two or so years ago heroin started showing up. Naturally the number of overdoses over the last decade have skyrocketed as a result. Some of them were people I knew and one of them was someone I knew fairly well.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:46 PM
My aunt died of a heroin overdose @ 29. She died alone in a motel room. Her oldest son was at my house when we got the call. I'll never forget his anguished cry :/ There isn't much you can say in these situations. Just be there & listen to her if she wants to talk.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM
She just kept crying and I kept saying I was so sorry and she kept saying it was her fault because she was supposed to go see him last night but she told him she would come over today instead because she wanted him to sleep since he just got off work. And I kept telling her it's not her fault and I just didn't know what else to say. Eventually she told me she had to let me go because she was going over to see his parents and I told her to call me if she needed anything. I hate seeing her so upset.
Quoting Anonymous: My aunt died of a heroin overdose @ 29. She died alone in a motel room. Her oldest son was at my house when we got the call. I'll never forget his anguished cry :/ There isn't much you can say in these situations. Just be there & listen to her if she wants to talk.
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM
I haven't personal lost anyone to overdose, but I was there for my friend when she lost her dad to an overdose. You know about the stages of grief, right? Well the anger stage seemed particularly difficult for her. She was mad at him, mad at his gf and the other people who were with him that night and didn't get him help, mad at drugs, etc. I felt so terrible for her, but the only thing I could do was be there for her and let her know that her feelings were valid and understandable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:52 PM
I think she's pretty mad at herself. She thinks if she had gone to see him last night instead of telling him he needed to rest from working she feels he would still be alive. I told her even if she had gone, it might not have stopped him. She's so hurt.
Quoting FoxFire363: I haven't personal lost anyone to overdose, but I was there for my friend when she lost her dad to an overdose. You know about the stages of grief, right? Well the anger stage seemed particularly difficult for her. She was mad at him, mad at his gf and the other people who were with him that night and didn't get him help, mad at drugs, etc. I felt so terrible for her, but the only thing I could do was be there for her and let her know that her feelings were valid and understandable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)