Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was a summer camp director... AMA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

I spent several years as an assistant director, and then director of a summer camp.  I've seen several posts on here with people debating sending their kids off to camp, so I thought I'd make an AMA from the other side.  

Do you want to know whats REALLY in the mystery meat? 

Do the counselors ACTUALLY supervise my kids, or do they sit around on their phones while the kids play?

What happens if my kid wets the bed or has a nightmare? 

It's okay to add a 'few' snacks in their bags, right?  

What part of sending your kid to camp are you worried about it?   AMA! 

(...and I'm headed to work, ill answer questions in a couple hours.) 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:28 PM

is this supposed to suck us in? BORING

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Those answers will differ by camps.... so your answers won't matter
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it's supposed to be a place where parents who want answers from someone who has been at camp with their kids can ask questions. 

I went anonymously so I can tell stories and talk about my camp more anonymously. 

Sometimes people actually have conversations on here, not just competitions to see who can stir the most shit the fastest. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:31 PM

AMA posts are stupid. We hate them.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, it's supposed to be a place where parents who want answers from someone who has been at camp with their kids can ask questions. 

I went anonymously so I can tell stories and talk about my camp more anonymously. 

Sometimes people have actually conversations on here, not just competitions to see who can stir the most shit the fastest. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Clearly not so much that you don't click on them.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Sometimes people have actually conversations on here, not just competitions to see who can stir the most shit the fastest. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:34 PM

All camps that are accredited by the American Camping Association will have very similar standards... I might not know about the food at every camp, but I do know about the food STANDARDS at every accredited camp, and really, you should not send your kid to a camp thats not ACA certified. 

Quoting Anonymous: Those answers will differ by camps.... so your answers won't matter

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I click to tell people how stupid and boring they are.

Quoting Anonymous:

Clearly not so much that you don't click on them.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM
The only camp my kids have attended I have been to and I can promise your crappy camp would hold a candle to it.

Quoting Anonymous:

All camps that are accredited by the American Camping Association will have very similar standards... I might not know about the food at every camp, but I do know about the food STANDARDS at every accredited camp, and really, you should not send your kid to a camp thats not ACA certified. 

Quoting Anonymous: Those answers will differ by camps.... so your answers won't matter

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Should take this to Reddit

berlgirl1224
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:06 PM
I'll bite...

My youngest son has accidents sometimes, of the poo kind. I've written a note letting them know, telling them he needs his meds at certain times and needs to be reminded to poo, and def poo before bed.

How is that handled? Will he be outcasted because he is the "poo kid"?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)