Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Smart or stupid?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM
  • 66 Replies
I got into a debate with a friend recently about how my brother was living. I said he was smart and she said he was being stupid.

He recently just got a really good job ($6000 a month). Instead of trying to buy a house right away, he decided to rent a trailer for $500 a month (lot rent included). He said his monthly bills can be paid with one check, including his student loans. He is going to save and try to have about 40,000-60,000 to put down as a down payment. It will take him about 3 years if he calculated right. Most houses in his area are about 120,000 for a 3 bedroom with some land. He is single but is hoping by that time to either have a serious girlfriend or fiance to help pick the house.

She said he was stupid to pick a trailer when he clearly afford to rent a house or even get a loan for a house. I think he is smart because he can save a lot, still have plenty of play money to take girls out, and have emergency fund away from the savings for the house.

What do you think?

I'm going for awhile. Need to feed the kiddo. Those who are asking. Yes I defended my brother. I would defend my family to the death if they need it.
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JC2223
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this

He is being smart!

deepfryerdemons
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Your friend is rude and you're not great at being family if you let her call him stupid. That's what I think about that. I agree that he's got a good plan.
AugustMomma
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:41 PM
That's good planning
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's a decent plan. Getting rid of most of your debt before buying a house is a good idea.
corticosteroid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM

He's being smart.

MelDyann
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Your brother is very smart!
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:44 PM
There's too much stigma about living in a trailer for me, so I wouldn't choose to. If he's comfortable with that, it's a good decision for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:44 PM
I think it's smart.
Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM
He's being smart.
tossed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Smart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)