Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Rich white people disease

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:20 AM
  • 275 Replies
3 moms liked this

DD, 21 has struggled with Anorexia since she was 13.  She has been in patient twice for a few months at a time. We have almost lost her twice, she was so sick.  She is much better, looks healthy and hasn't been in treatment in 2 years.  Graduated early from school (tested out) went to college and has a great job.  She has learned to handle it and control it herself.  The family, due to therapy knows what to say and do, to help her.  

My aunt has never been supportive or sensative to the situation.  She was over here for dinner last night.  When DD made her plate, measuring everything, carefully choosing what foods to eat, we just ignored her, as we know this is what she needs to do.  My aunt tells her, "Put more food on that plate, you need more meat on your bones, no man likes a boney woman".  My jaw hit the floor, I was so angry.  When I quickly, and quietly basically told her to shut the hell up, she followed up loudly with "Anorexia is a rich white persons disease, us black folk know what its like to really be hungry, so we don't waste food".  

I'm was so angry, I asked her to leave.  But DD heard her and things like that leave a lasting impression.   My aunt will not be welcomed in my home again. 

by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
harpsichord
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:21 AM
Sad
ttriddick
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:22 AM
17 moms liked this
Oh wow. That was so inconsiderate. I hope your DD is able to process what she heard and be OK with who she is. How sad that the ignorant are the loudest of all. :(
lovinlife0429
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Why is that?  Loud and wrong!  DH and I spoke with DD and she seemed more shocked that she was not supportive and understanding.  

Quoting ttriddick: Oh wow. That was so inconsiderate. I hope your DD is able to process what she heard and be OK with who she is. How sad that the ignorant are the loudest of all. :(

Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:26 AM
14 moms liked this
What the fuck O.o??????!
That's the meanest fuckery I've heard in a long time.
Horrible, i won't even fucking talk to my aunt, like ever.
Take it from the honey dipped in sunshine black beauty, your aunt is a twatty fuck, and your daughter is stronger than two years ago, just be by her side like you always are.
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:26 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't blame you for not allowing your aunt at your home anymore. That was completely uncalled for and insensitive!
RobinBright
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:27 AM
6 moms liked this

Yikes.  I hope your daughter is at a point of recovery where she can process shit like that appropriately.  

tinybluemoon
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:27 AM
29 moms liked this

If your DD can't hear stuff like that without regressing then she still needs to be in treatment. 

TisHerself
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:28 AM
6 moms liked this

Glad to hear your daughter is doing better. 

While I can imagine you are very upset with your Aunt, try to remember she hasn't been the beneficiary of therapy to know what to say and do to help your daughter, that you indicate you received. 

Good luck, OP. I wish your daughter continued health!

Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:30 AM
16 moms liked this

Whether she can or cannot hear it is moot. The aunt has no business being that thoughtless in her presence.

Quoting tinybluemoon:

If your DD can't hear stuff like that without regressing then she still needs to be in treatment. 

highlandmum
by Spunky on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:30 AM

That is sad.  I would be furious as well.  I danced with a couple of girls who suffered with anorexia it was not easy for them at all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)