Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is the best parenting book you've ever read?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:01 AM
  • 91 Replies

What is the best parenting book you've ever read and why? What was so great/life-changing about it?

by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gkcathey
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Happy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child - Marc Weissbluth

It taught me about sleep patterns, naps and scheduling and reinforced my thoughts on how important sleep is.  My child was a great sleeper/napper as a baby and is still a great sleeper (he's 11).  I think it made him a happier baby, toddler, and young child.  And, I proudly accepted the title of "Sleep Nazi" from my husband!! :)

webgirl8369
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Queen Bee's and Wannabes. It was a big help in allowing me to help my daughter navigate girl world and deal with conflict. I enjoyed the ability to skip around, and the writer managed to throughly explore all the teen girl personality types without heaping judgement. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:10 AM
2 moms liked this
The What to Expect Books. Not on parenting necessarily but for the first 3 years of my son's life it was my go to book. And I worked in childcare for years before having him. Lol.
mommaofALT
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:11 AM
3 moms liked this

1,2,3 magic. I love it because it gave me a way to discipline my children without yelling or spanking. 

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:20 AM

This book really helped us a lot, too!

Quoting mommaofALT:

1,2,3 magic. I love it because it gave me a way to discipline my children without yelling or spanking. 

mommacupKate
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:26 AM

BringingUp Bebe ~Druckerman

It made me feel so much less guilty about how I raise my kiddos. Before I read the book, the differences in how I bring up my babes from that of friends or neighbors was glaring and made me wonder if I was a bad mom.  I read the book excepting to mock it, but my jaw dropped when I recognized many of my own child-rearing techniques and habits in those pages!  Now I know I'm not abnormal, mean, or wrong, I'm just raising them differently. They're happy, loving, bright, well-adjusted children, so I'm much more relaxed about being a little unusual compared to other mums at playdates.

Memere60
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:56 AM
3 moms liked this

Motherhood, the Second Oldest Profession. It's by Erma Bombeck. I just downloaded it on my iPad. It's not really a 'how to' book. Every chapter is about a different kind of kid, and it's just a good laugh kind of book! It helped me a lot with remembering that I didn't have to be so serious about everything.

BroomandHat
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Parenting for Prevention

It teaches you how not to be "friends" with your children and how to not enable their manipulative behaviors (drinking, drug use, peer pressure)

Good one. :)

CMay2CK
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:06 AM
The only one I've ever read is "Creative Corrections". It gives you some ideas when traditional consequences/punishments don't work. Its aimed at older kids, so I haven't needed to use it yet. I'll probably have to re-read it in a couple of years.
KennyPooPoo22
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1931868514?pc_redir=1401251393&robot_redir=1

My mom actually bought it for my DH but I thought it was great
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)