Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I feel horrible for disciplining another persons child....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies

My son is 2 and we had a 5 year old over. My son's birthday just pasted and he was playing in the living room when the 5 year old was over. Child asked if he could go play I said that was fine. Kid was sweet at first. The dad was talking to my husband (they are friends and he stopped by to wish our 2 yr old happy birthday) and I was watching the kids. Well I have a newborn as well so I was rocking him. The child kept taking toys away from my 2 year old and saying "he wont let me play" I talked to both boys in general saying "Please share the toys there is enough for the both of you" I was also talking to my son most of the time reminding him that he needs to share and that it is okay if the boy was playing with the toys. This guy is still talking to my husband in the dinning room. He hears them struggling for 45 minutes over the toys. He tells the child to be nice, to play nice, etc. The child refuses to listen. My 2 yr old had a matchbox car in his hand and was trying to play with the 5 year old on the race track he has. 5 minutes go by and the 5 year old his still pitching a fit that my 2 year old is trying to play with him. I explained that he is 2 and just trying to play with him (5 yr old). Finally the 5 year old tries to yank a car right out of my childs hand! I "snap". I didnt raise my voice, didnt approach the child. I held my hand out and asked for the car from the 5 year old. That he shouldnt be yanking toys that my son was playing with. He started to fight with me at this point saying he was playing with the car. I asked him again to please give me the car that if they couldnt share then I want the car. I had to say this 4 times. I never moved. He came and gave me the car and went back to play. I wasnt paying any attention to the father just kept watching and interacting with the kid. I heard him telling my husband that he bought the 5 year old had a large soda from McDonalds and he had to refill it twice because the child sucked it down. I thought to myself... wow this kid must be on one hell of a sugar high.

They left about 30 minutes later and my husband tells me that the father had this shocked look on his face when I took the car from the 5 year old. Now I feel so freaking bad. I asked my husband was I wrong. He didnt think so. But now I dont know... I dont feel that I stepped outta bounds. But I feel that the father should have had better control over his 5 year old and came to get him once he heard the fighting for 45 minutes. I kept waiting for him to do something.

Bash if you wish but I wont answer that. I just want to know what YOU would have done. Would you have let the 5 year old keep taking your childs toys away from him or would you have done the same thing??

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BettyBoop8
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:39 AM
7 moms liked this

Misbehavior was not allowed in my house, period.  When other children were at my house and they misbehaved, I gave their parents the first opportunity to discipline them.  If the parents didn't take care of the situation, then I disciplined them the same way I would have my own children.  I never felt bad about it and there was never an issue.

N_maricle
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, that would not fly in my house. He is 5, by that age he should know how to share. The father needed to step up and discipline his son, it's irresponsible that he heard the fighting for 45 mins and did nothing. And your reaction was totally appropriate, you have nothing to feel bad about.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:41 AM
3 moms liked this
You did the right thing.
ttriddick
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
You were not out of line. The father was on so many levels. To be honest, I would be completely OK with the dad being offended (if he was.) There is no excuse for a 5 year old to behave the way he did. Taking the toy and arguing when the adult of the house said to hand it over.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Sugar high is a myth.  The kid isn't acting up because sugar magically made him hyper.  He's acting u because he's a spoiled child.

mich2.0
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

You were not even close to being out of line. 

graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this
DON'T feel bad. You were correct in what you did.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:46 AM

lol, newmomproblems

pinkcsmtlgy
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I would have done the same thing.

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:49 AM
This. It's been scientifically proven over and over.

I wouldn't have let it gone on as long as it did.

After the first 10 min I would've told him to go stand with his dad since he doesn't know how to be good

Quoting Anonymous:

Sugar high is a myth.  The kid isn't acting up because sugar magically made him hyper.  He's acting u because he's a spoiled child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)