Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Child support... using it as vacation money

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My dd's birthday is Labor Day weekend. I always take her for a weekend trip. We either go to the beach or camping. Well this is the first year that I don't have the money for it. I was planning on telling her tonight. I knew she would be upset.

I am a single mom and I pay for everything my girls need. I haven't received any cs is over a year. The last payment I received was for $100. I have received a total of $400 cs for two kids in 5 years. 

So anyway, I was planning on telling her tonight. I was going to tell her that we could probably do a trip after school starts back. Summer camp is so expensive and it is really hitting my budget hard. But guess what? I just got a check in the mail for $600.00. All of our bills are paid, I just don't have extra money to take her on her bday trip. But now I do! I plan on taking her to Pensacola. I feel like sending my ex a thank you note, lol. 

I plan on spending $300 for the room and puting the other $300 in my girls savings accounts. By the time Labor Day gets here, I will have enough spending money. I just couldn't pay for the room this month and by next month all the decent hotels will be full. 

My bff says that I shouldn't use it for a trip, but I don't see the problem. The trip is for my dd. The only trips we take are their birthday weekend trips (both girls get one). 

I know that I CAN spend it on whatever I want, but do you think what I am doing is wrong (on a moral level)?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
OrangeDreamPop
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Quoting Anonymous: Nope, that is your money do what you wish with it. Have fun on your trip.
KreatingMe
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:57 PM

You pay for all their needs, it's not wrong to use this money however you want to.

hyper_bunny
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:57 PM

If you have all your bills paid and you don't need it for anything I don't see the problem. Take your daughter on the trip!! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I certainly spend more than $600 per month on them. I pay $1248 just for one month of summer camp : /

Quoting Anonymous: Thats crap money. Id spend it on whatever i want. You pay more than $600 a month on them. Screw him!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM
4 moms liked this

Honestly, I'm on the side of child support being to continually help and support the needs of the child/children.  If my DH's child support went to pay for their family vacation instead of their school clothes and supplies, I'd be a little irked.

That being said, if you have received little to no support in the last 5 years, you have been spending your own money to fully support the children, and I see NOTHING wrong with spending that to go on your daughter's bday celebration.  I think it's great that it just came in when you needed it.  All of this being said, I hope people fully read what I wrote before calling me an ass for my first paragraph!  lol  I am so happy your daughter can have her fun time, too.  :) 

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Or just think of it as loaner money until you had saved up enough anyway. Either way you support your kids. So if it makes you feel better take 300 dollars later and 'pay back' the cs by putting it in their savings or something.
mistressflora
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM

well you are spending it on her so i guess not

Daisy1120
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM

I say since you are spending it on a trip for you and DD that it is perfectly fine to use the CS money for that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:01 PM

This is the way I see it too. But I thought I'd ask because she seemed so upset by it. I guess this is just one thing we won't see eye to eye on. 

Quoting juls7111: Child support is for the support of a child.. with you using your own money for their support,take that and enjoy your trip!!!

niki_hubbard
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:01 PM

You fronted his half. He is just paying you back for it. Have fun, and no more discussing cs with your bestie... does she have a so paying support, by chance?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)