Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Child support... using it as vacation money

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My dd's birthday is Labor Day weekend. I always take her for a weekend trip. We either go to the beach or camping. Well this is the first year that I don't have the money for it. I was planning on telling her tonight. I knew she would be upset.

I am a single mom and I pay for everything my girls need. I haven't received any cs is over a year. The last payment I received was for $100. I have received a total of $400 cs for two kids in 5 years. 

So anyway, I was planning on telling her tonight. I was going to tell her that we could probably do a trip after school starts back. Summer camp is so expensive and it is really hitting my budget hard. But guess what? I just got a check in the mail for $600.00. All of our bills are paid, I just don't have extra money to take her on her bday trip. But now I do! I plan on taking her to Pensacola. I feel like sending my ex a thank you note, lol. 

I plan on spending $300 for the room and puting the other $300 in my girls savings accounts. By the time Labor Day gets here, I will have enough spending money. I just couldn't pay for the room this month and by next month all the decent hotels will be full. 

My bff says that I shouldn't use it for a trip, but I don't see the problem. The trip is for my dd. The only trips we take are their birthday weekend trips (both girls get one). 

I know that I CAN spend it on whatever I want, but do you think what I am doing is wrong (on a moral level)?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Replies (41-50):
ramita
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:03 PM
I'd say use it. It's for the kids birthday anyway so it's still going towards the kid, just a fun part.
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see anything wrong with it.  Had he been paying like he was supposed to then you wouldn't have had to support them by yourself.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM

The consensus seems to be that it isn't wrong. I felt fine about it. I guess I was just taken aback by how upset my friend was about it. 

Quoting PrettyGirlMyers:

You're not doing anything wrong! You could think of it as him reimbursing you for covering absolutely everything while he's contributed almost nothing if it makes you feel better...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM
This. You pay for everything. This is reimbursement.
It's your money do whatever you want with it.

Quoting Anonymous: Thats crap money. Id spend it on whatever i want. You pay more than $600 a month on them.
Screw him!
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
The only issue I see is you spending 300 bucks on a room.
chattycassie
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:05 PM

You have EVERY right to use that money any way you wish. don't let anyone tell you different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Im not the spa type, lol. But I understand what you are saying. I was just curious as to what other's thought because my friend seems to think that I am way out of line. 

Quoting Anonymous: You support your children on your own for the most part. You could spend it on a spa weekend for you and still not be wrong. Well maybe that wouldn't be the best financial decision, but my point is - it is your money - those actual dollars don't have to be spent on necessities for the kids.

yperez0209
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:06 PM
No I don't think it's wrong, enjoy your vacation.
donnag013
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Absolutely not. Take the trip. You are spending it on your children. What a terrific way to spend cs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:06 PM

So you are in Pensacola? What should be on our to do list (other than the beach)? My dd is turning 9.

Quoting mom2gmp2: I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I hope y'all have fun here. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN