Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Apperance in the workplace...personal style vs. dress regulations.

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:02 AM
  • 236 Replies
What do you think?
Is it possible to have a career or good paying job with an alternative style? (Colorful hair, visible tattoos, piercings, dreadlocks, etc.)

Or are those jobs limited to those who are more conservative?

Thanks!
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:05 AM
If you need to look professional then no. Getting a face tattoo or dying your hair pink isnt a good choice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:06 AM
8 moms liked this
I think anybody should work wherever they want. I hate that they generalize and stereotype people on how they dress. To them its either youre dressed all dressed up and youre professional or youre not dressed that way and it makes you not professional. Professional should be based on skills and the person not looks or style
Bubbie0809
by Dreaded hippie on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:06 AM
But isn't it possible for a professional job, not to require a "professional" appearance?

Quoting SalemWitchChild: If you need to look professional then no. Getting a face tattoo or dying your hair pink isnt a good choice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I have a well paying job, at a major medical college. I love my job and I'm up for promotion to FFS.

I do have bright red hair. I put it in a bun for work. I also have tattoos. I keep them covered at work. I did take out my nose piercing when I was offered the job, because I am the face of our department. No one comes through the door without first talking with me, and most of the time, I'm the only person they will ever see and/or talk to from our department. 

My boss does have a uniform requirement of black pants, grey shirt, and grey or black shoes.

IAMmomtotrips
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm a teacher and I have one visible tattoo on my forearm (and will have one on my calf soon). My friend who teachers across the hall does really wild hair colors and has multiple piercings in her ears and it has never been an issue, but I don't know if something bigger than that would accepted.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:09 AM
3 moms liked this
I think there are a lot of great professionals who have tattoos and piercings and whatever. But the fact of the matter is, most high level workplaces won't allow for those things to be visible. That's why if you want a real job you get tattoos and piercings that can be covered up or taken out for work. It isn't fair but that's how life is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:09 AM
5 moms liked this

I walked into a corner store theo ther day. While I was checking out, my 6 year old read the mans shirt ( The man working the register ) . It said "P*ssy, the most expensive meal"

I will never go back to that establishment.

You cannot wear whatever you want in the workplace for this reason.

Quoting Anonymous: I think anybody should work wherever they want. I hate that they generalize and stereotype people on how they dress. To them its either youre dressed all dressed up and youre professional or youre not dressed that way and it makes you not professional. Professional should be based on skills and the person not looks or style

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:10 AM
Give me an example. If I went to say... a lawyer and he looked unprofessional I would not trust him to handle walking mu dog, let alone a court case. There are ways to hide a tattoo though.

Quoting Bubbie0809: But isn't it possible for a professional job, not to require a "professional" appearance?

Quoting SalemWitchChild: If you need to look professional then no. Getting a face tattoo or dying your hair pink isnt a good choice.
Ms_mom_81
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I think we focus too much on that kind of stuff. Honestly, if you can do your job and be great at it well I say get over it if you want pink hair or piercings or tattoos.

msb64
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:11 AM
2 moms liked this

It depends on the job and the image the company is trying to project.  Someone in advertising, for example, may be able to wear something different than someone in corporate finance.  At my DH's employment, most of the employees wear suits except the information systems guys.  I am surprised when I see those guys wearing shoes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN