newborn handTalk about the mother of all surprises! Rebecca Oldham was admitted to the hospital due to persistent abdominal cramps. She was scheduled to have her "painful" ovaries surgically removed, but doctors soon discovered that the pains Oldham was experiencing were actually a full-term baby.

Wondering how Oldham didn't know she was carrying around a 9-pound baby? So is she! During the months leading up to her hospital visit, she reportedly had three scans, two blood tests, and six pregnancy tests. And nothing showed any signs of a pregnancy.

When doctors made the discovery that Rebecca was, in fact, pregnant, she was unconscious. Before they performed an emergency C-section, they woke her up to tell her the shocking news. "I am so glad they woke me and told me I was going to have another baby," she told reporters. "Even though it was short notice, it was better than waking up and being handed a baby." The cause of, um, how the hell this went undetected for so long is currently being investigated. Experts say that this is extremely rare and believe that the missed pregnancy may have something to do with the fact that the baby boy was lodged so tightly against his mother's back. "He was lodged in, even with the cesarean, they had to use forceps to get him out," Oldham said. "They think the pain was caused by him trying to move around but he couldn't."

Needless to say, Rebecca and her partner, James Tipene, were floored when they found out they'd be leaving the hospital with a new baby (who they also named James). The couple already has a 20-month-old daughter together, Hayley, and Rebecca was actually told that she likely wouldn't be able to have any more children, due to the fact that there were problems with her ovaries. So, ultimately, this was a happy surprise, but wow! Talk about being rocked to the core. Could you imagine not only suddenly learning that you're a mom of two, but that you were carrying around a 9-pound baby?! Oldham had to have been pretty convinced that she wasn't pregnant, being that she took blood tests and had scans.

Luckily, everyone is healthy, but there was obviously some getting used to after this family of three became a family of four. And hopefully Oldham, and doctors, will soon get to the bottom of this incredibly mystifying case.

How do you think you would react if you found out you were carrying around a 9-pound baby?

Image via callocx/Flickr