Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you warn your kids about poison ivy, sumac and hogweed?

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:21 PM
  • 39 Replies

Summer's approaching and plant life is flourishing, do you warn your kids and teach them to recognize poison ivy, sumac and hogweed?

I remind ds of hogweed and show him pictures just because it can make you blind and burn your skin, but I've never really bothered with ivy or sumac.

You?

by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Funny story, we were on a nature walk at a national park  last year.  The guide was pointing out the difference in Virginia creeper and poison ivy.  She went on to tell the children that they could pick the leaves and touch Virginia creeper because it wouldn't cause a rash.  I had to stop my children and tell them not to touch it because it causes a rash in both me and my husband.  A few weeks ago my  youngest did get into some in our yard and proved that it will in fact give her a rash.

phoenix7
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM

my kids know about it but i dont make a big deal about it...honestly the worst thing for them is the prickers they get in thier hair

"hippy" mamma to lots of lovies

MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Never heard of hogweed.  It must not grow here.  Poison Ivy and Sumac yes.

katherine84
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:30 PM
We live in the "country". My kids learned poison oak and ivy at very young ages.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:31 PM

We just did this 4 days ago. I used googled and showed him pictures. I wish someone had done me that favor.. I once had poison ivy, and sumac at once. It was horrible. I was covered in places I dare not ever talk about.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Just poison ivy and poison oak, the others don't grow where we live.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:34 PM
We only have to really worry about poison ivy and sumac here and we are not allergic to either if them so it seems silly to worry about. We do know what it looks like but don't bother watching out for it.
lesliemck86
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:34 PM
I hope parents are teaching this in my area, although we don't have this in my apt complex, my customers have sumac and possibly other types growing against their house.
cinnamonkiti
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I warn my stepdaughter(9), but honestly, it does no good. LOL She thinks, at this age, that she knows everything.  The other day, when we were walking, I warned her to move off to the side because she was about to walk on some broken glass on the sidewalk. She looked right at it, and walked right on it...crunching it under her feet. My dh got very upset with her, and her response was "I was wearing shoes! Glass is not going to hurt me!"

So, yeah, dh and I have told her about poison ivy, etc...but she thinks that she is untouchable.

SMH.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Yep.

Though I'm not sure what hogweed is to be honest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)