Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I turned away my younger half sister in her time of need

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:07 PM
  • 312 Replies
1 mom liked this
And I'm starting to feel bad.
Back story, about a week ago I get this call out of the blue from my father, which is weird because he's already called me this year, and that's usually about how often I hear from him.
Anyways, he informed me that one of his other 11 children, my 15 year old half sister, who I don't even think I've met but once or twice, is pregnant. Her mother has decided to kick her out, and she has nowhere to go. Apparently she has nowhere to go, and he thought to call me to see if I could help her. Because he remembers how big my house is from the one time he's been here in the 2years I've lived here.

I said no. But I'm starting to feel bad.
The thing is, I am also a teen mother (well, was because I'm out of my teens now) but I had my son at 13. And I know how hard everything is. But also, I don't want to be a handout for her.
But if I don't help the poor girl, what's going to happen to her baby? Ugh. It's been weighing on my mind a lot. I know if either of my daughters got pregnant as teens I would help them no questions asked. But this girl, even though we share a father, I don't feel is really my sister.
But maybe helping her out would change that. Ugh, I don't know. I don't know what to do.

Oh and apparently we're both due in November. So we have that in common I guess.
But I don't know if I should let this stranger essentially in my house, especially with her soon to be newborn when I'm also expecting one, too.
Just so confused.
What would you do?
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:08 PM
11 moms liked this
I'm too tender hearted to turn anyone away. I would let her stay with me and help her out.
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:09 PM
7 moms liked this

It sounds like you have enough on your plate. Maybe put together some resource information for her? Why can't she stay with your dad?

shaunaleigh418
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:10 PM
18 moms liked this

I would allow her to stay with me but give her rules to follow. Three strikes and she's out. At least then you'll know you've tried and won't feel guilty.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Tell her to get an abortion. Problem solved.
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd take her in. Whatever you decide though, there should be no judgement. Hugs, That's tough!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. Not if you're having a baby at the same time. That's enough stress for you. The half sister's baby is her problem, not yours.

georgiagurl8648
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Quoting almondpigeon: I'm too tender hearted to turn anyone away. I would let her stay with me and help her out.
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Personally, I would take her in.
MiSs.SmOkEy
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I would let her, but then again if I had a sister I had never met I would still love her. I loved my adopted out sister and never met her
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:14 PM
3 moms liked this

I would call united way..... The number is 211 in my state. Call and ask do they have second chance homes are do they have placement places for pregnant teens in your state. Good luck with this. I believe in helping people. I do not necessarily believe in bringing them into your home. I have a heart for people but I also feel that you should exhaust the resources that are available. People try harder when they are on their own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)