Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I Just Over Protective Or.....

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:39 PM
  • 66 Replies
2 moms liked this

Every time I go to Six Flags, there are always young kids running around with no supervision. I have seen parents drop off kids 10 to 15 and just leave them all day or they go sit down in a restaurant and send their young kids off to ride rides by themselves. I'm 25 years old and my mother doesn't like me going by myself but these parents seem to think it is ok for their young kids to be unsupervised. Even in the water park area, there are parents that sit on the lawn chairs to read while their toddlers are playing in the wave pool unsupervised. 

Last weekend, I took my niece with me to Six Flags. She is almost 13 and I didn't let that child out of my sight for a second. Even the one time I let her ride one ride that I couldn't and I got in line for a roller coaster, I could see the ride from the line and I watched her until she got in line with me. In the water park area, I made her stay with me and didn't let her out of my sight. A couple of weeks ago, I took my sister' other three kids (11, 8, and 5) and I knew where they were every second and I didn't just let them go run off by themselves. That's just ridiculous. There are creeps that run all over these parks and they look for unsupervised children. If you aren't going to watch your children, you shouldn't take them to fucking Six Flags. 

by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that at 13 she would have been fine hanging out with friends and riding the rides. 

Under 12, and I wouldn't let them go by themselves. 

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:44 PM
4 moms liked this
Did I read that correctly? Your own mother doesn't want YOU going alone at age 25? That is odd.

The rest I agree with you, I wouldn't let my 15 year old go without an adult.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Seriously we need to rename this place, "cafeanyonewhowantstojoin"

TisHerself
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:46 PM

This. 

Quoting larissalarie: Did I read that correctly? Your own mother doesn't want YOU going alone at age 25? That is odd. The rest I agree with you, I wouldn't let my 15 year old go without an adult.

Neko_Nightstar
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:46 PM

I disagree. I wouldn't send a sixteen year old to six flags by herself. At sixteen I would let them go ride rides alone with a friend but only if I was at the park. When I was sixteen, I ran all over Disney world with a 13 year old friend but my mom was at the park. 

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I think that at 13 she would have been fine hanging out with friends and riding the rides. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM
We were @12 when we my brothers and sisters went without our parents. And no cell phones then either! We would call collect from a pay phone and my mother would decline but that's how she would know to come pick us up. :)
cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what I read too, OP is that right?  

Quoting larissalarie: Did I read that correctly? Your own mother doesn't want YOU going alone at age 25? That is odd. The rest I agree with you, I wouldn't let my 15 year old go without an adult.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, you are. A 13yo can stand in line with friends for a ride. You don't have kids, right? Soyou may change your tune when you do.

Seagodess
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:48 PM
2 moms liked this
I think teens are fine to be left unsupervised for a little bit as long as they are responsible. Considering you said your 25 and your mom doesn't want you to be alone, i think you get the overprotectiveness from that.
cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Oh FFS, do you let them go to the bathjroom by themselves or do you follow the into the bathroom too?

Quoting Neko_Nightstar:

I disagree. I wouldn't send a sixteen year old to six flags by herself. At sixteen I would let them go ride rides alone with a friend but only if I was at the park. When I was sixteen, I ran all over Disney world with a 13 year old friend but my mom was at the park. 

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)