Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you leave 4 kids under 6 with 16 year old babysitter?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

My daughter babysits for a family that lives in the next town over. The parents have 4 year old twins (one of which is developmentally delayed), a 6 month old and a 2 year old. DD is scheduled to watch the 6 month old during the day (6 am-5pm) and the others should have went to camp.

I dropped DD off on my way to work and DD spoke with the mother in the driveway. The mother is running late and drives off before DD even goes inside.

DD gets inside and the baby is downstairs playing on the floor. She sits with the baby and plays, but about an hour later THE OTHER CHILDREN CAME DOWN (she had NO IDEA they were upstairs, as she never goes upstairs). 

DD called me in about 30 minutes later, because she was overwhelmed. The developmentally delayed twin wasn't listening and kept leaving the home, the baby was crying nonstop, the kids were all fighting as she was trying to cook them breakfast ect. She tried to call their mother to come back, but the mom couldn't leave work.

So I had to head over and help her out..which I'm pretty pissed about. Not to mention DD only agreed to watch one baby as this is her first child care experience. Mom gets home and states that camp doesn't start until tomorrow and that she figured whats a few extra heads? To top it all off...mom is NOT going to pay extra? 

Edit: I told DD she is quitting and she's kinda upset because this was her only source of income this summer. Sadly im uncomfortable with her over there now. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM

That's shady

quinnsmom715
by Donna on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:06 PM

yeah,shed lose her babysitter..no other one would put up with that..

estd87
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Absolutely not, that is way too much responsibility for a teenager. I wouldn't even leave that responsibilty with some adults. 

Crashly
by Ashley on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM
That would piss me off. She should pay 4x the amount since it's four kids not one.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Wow, that's ridiculous! There's no excuse for the mother not notifying your daughter of the other children being in the home. And, yea, she should pay extra. I would demand an upfront schedule and if something like this ever happened again, your daughter should consider not sitting for her anymore.

wonderstruck11
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:08 PM

That is pretty shitty of the mom.

I was a teen and watching my 4 young siblings (the oldest is 10 years younger than me.) So at 16 I was watching a 6 year old, 4 year old, 2 year old and a year later I would watch an infant. However, I had been babysitting for years, had taken classes and studied early childhood development in school.

zeezoo
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Oh hell no!!

At 16, I would have been able to handle it but I was experienced with children. Your DD was misled and the mother of the children is def in the wrong. I'm glad she had the sense to call you for help. Good job raising a smart one!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I read your title and I was all set to say that no, I wouldn't even leave my twins with a 16 year old when they were infants and toddlers. Then I read your post...that is just not right. Way too much for a 16 year old to handle. I know that I myself, a grown woman wouldn't want to watch all of those children. Doesn't sound like a good time. :-/

jamminmomma
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:08 PM

No I most certainly not ever leave 4 kids those ages with my dd who will be 16 in a few months and if she was babysitting for others and they pulled this trick on her it would be her last day with that family.

luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Mine could handle that, but I think it might be to much for most teens.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN