Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am going to fire her because of her ugly clothes....UPDATE: She was fired NO it was NOT illegal!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 827 Replies
3 moms liked this

There is a girl that always comes to work in weird things. They are hidious everyone but her thinks so. She says she is unique but no that isnt the case. Everything clashes with everything and it is meant too.

It is distracting to others and everyone is gossiping and she just plays along with it.

She is taking hipster to a whole new level. We have told her she should start wearing more "normal" clothes but so far no luck.

We are going to be coming up with a better dress code also so this doesnt happen in the future.

ETA: Changing the policy will take time, I will have to get it approved through corporate. We already asked her to change how she dresses and she wont. Why give her another chance?

ETA2: Yesterday she work a bright yellow sundress with leopard print leggings, green furry (i think) heels, and a purple sash

\

UPDATE: she was fired...read the featured comment (right under this post) 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2014 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 21, 2014 at 5:58 AM
I finally found a way to get more people to she this so I don't have to keep saying the same stiff over and over! (It won't let me edit the post because it is featured)

This lady is nearly 50 years old. This is not the first time she has be fired for this. ( she was bragging about it about a month ago) I didn't personally hire her but when she first started she was not bad at all. She has kept pushing the limits over and over

Customers have complained about her. Last week we sat her down and explained what was going on, gave her the tips, and wrote her up. She knew that if she didn't make the change she would lose her job.

She made no effort so I fired her. It is 100% legal. I live in an at will state and she is not in a protected class that has anything to do with this. For it to be discrimination she would have to be in a protected class. Clothing is not a protected class.

She has only worked for us for 4 months and so she doesn't even qualify for unemployment.

Also our policies are not exclusive meaning that even if it is not written in policy we can still fire over it as long as it does not directly contradict existing policy.
whooperz
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Why not just change the dress code? See if she goes along
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 8:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Why not put a dress code into effect and if she doesnt change then fire her?

Medic32
by RN=Rescue Ninja on Jun. 19, 2014 at 8:58 AM
5 moms liked this
If it isn't in your dress code policy, I hope she she's the shit out of you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2014 at 8:58 AM
It takes time for new polices to go into place

Quoting whooperz: Why not just change the dress code? See if she goes along
TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Jun. 19, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Where do you work?  Maybe try changing/creating a dress code?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 19, 2014 at 8:59 AM
We have already asked her to change the way she dresses and she didnt. Why give her another chance?

Quoting Hanab818:

Why not put a dress code into effect and if she doesnt change then fire her?

lovinlife0429
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 8:59 AM
5 moms liked this

I terminated an employee because she refused to do anything nice with her hair and put on a tad bit of makeup.  She was the face that everyone saw first, it was important.  People were complaining. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Write the policy, have a meeting, and give them a week to follow it.  It's not hard or time consuming.

Quoting Anonymous: It takes time for new polices to go into place
Quoting whooperz: Why not just change the dress code? See if she goes along

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
In a lot of states you can't sue over something like that.

Quoting Medic32: If it isn't in your dress code policy, I hope she she's the shit out of you.
crystalripple
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

party

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)