Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Religious people; the Bad in Your Religion.

Posted by   + Show Post
A lot of posts this week got me thinking.
I see a lot of posts all about the lovely and hand holding walking in sunshine- come to us sinners- repent and you shall be saved.
BUT i want you to be honest, as a Christian, Catholic, Mormon, Muslim etc;
what is one thing/many things in your religion that you do not fully agree with or have a hard time with?

*And before someone comes in all " i will not betray my faith you banshee!" I'm not trying to make you stomp and spit on your own religion, i just want to know if there is a rule or preaching that sometimes bothers you.
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Replies (31-40):
Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this
I got a coffee thrown at me once when i was debating the bible with this woman lol
i did it for her when i said " so your husband is actually your brother in a way. I mean you're practically shagging the hell out of your sibling, since it all started with Adam and eve"
dh was shocked lol

Quoting Brandyns87:

It's hard for me to believe that some of what's in the bible actually happened. I think some of it is just a misinterpretation of what the people at that time saw. It's what they think they were seeing, but not what was actually happening. Then there's the gay thing.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:54 AM
I'll be happy to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge!

Quoting Lilith23: I'm right with you on the cheese lol
thank you for explaining and now off i go to the website because you've peeked my interest.

Quoting momto2boys973: I agree with the cheese thing!! I'm a proud cheeseaholic :)
Judaism follows the laws of the Torah, the Old Testament. We believe in one omnipotent, omniscient, incorporeal G-d, who gave us the law we must follow to live our lives in the best possible way and achieve the spiritual growth we need.
That's the nutshell of nutshells. A great website for information is www.aish.com.

Quoting Lilith23: *puppy eyes* ok, i am going to sound so clueless and you may find it funny but i always got confused with the whole Jewish thing. I mean can you Explain to me a little bit more about what you believe in?
And btw fuck bacon! Extra cheese that's all you need lol

Quoting momto2boys973: Sorry! I can't believe I forgot to say that, lol. I'm Jewish.
There's no kosher turkey bacon where I live. Some turkey bacon still contains some pork for flavor.
I live without it, no biggie :)

Quoting Lilith23: What's your religion?
Oh darling; Turkey Bacon!! Turkey bacon :') fixed your problem.

Quoting momto2boys973: My religion is hard to follow. Very law-oriented in everything from what we eat, how we dress, how we behave. It's not easy to follow it, especially living in a western society.
But I personally wouldn't trade all the good it gives me for the momentary pleasure if a bacon cheeseburger.
Traci_Momof2
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Or how about the story of Passover?  Where every first born child was struck down.  Kids were specifically targeted there.

But I think that's the whole point of Jesus coming to save us.  The Old Testament times were very brutal times because of human sin.  But then Jesus came and saved us from our own sin.  That's why we are supposed to live our lives now following the New Testament, not the Old.

And no, I am no theology expert.  This is just my understanding of it.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I'm a Christian. I struggle with a lot of it sometimes.  Such as the story of Noah's ark. IF it really happened the way the Bible talks about, and it wasn't just a "parable" like some think (I know some say it was just a story to make a point and didn't really happened). Anyways if it DID happen that way then kids died. Kids  not just the "wicked" God said he wanted to rid the world of.  

It's why I question my faith so much right now.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Not the worse thing I suppose. But if God was trying to rid the world of the wicked I don't see why children should fall into that category.

Quoting faire_jour:

How do you view it? Is dying really the worst thing?

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I just can't view it that way I guess. I mean I do understand that view but I struggle with it. It's been bothering me for  a while. I'm still looking for answers and praying for wisdom but it's a struggle right now to find the answer that fits for me.

Quoting faire_jour:

I don't view dying as a bad thing, neither does God. He was saving them of a lifetime of horror, abuse and torment.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I'm a Christian. I struggle with a lot of it sometimes.  Such as the story of Noah's ark. IF it really happened the way the Bible talks about, and it wasn't just a "parable" like some think (I know some say it was just a story to make a point and didn't really happened). Anyways if it DID happen that way then kids died. Kids  not just the "wicked" God said he wanted to rid the world of.  

"My hope is anchored on the other side" -Switchfoot

EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm Christian and I believe most of the rules for living were very much of their time. For example, not being allowed to enter a holy space during your period. Back then it was because a woman really was unclean while on the blob. But now it's a non-issue provided you're doing it right. They don't apply to us today and more and more modern Christians are realising this.
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

That's true. 

It's just hard sometimes when I look back at the OT.  Times were (and still are) so brutal. It's hard for me to think of kids suffering.

It's been a struggle right now, my faith, but I am seeking. 

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Or how about the story of Passover?  Where every first born child was struck down.  Kids were specifically targeted there.

But I think that's the whole point of Jesus coming to save us.  The Old Testament times were very brutal times because of human sin.  But then Jesus came and saved us from our own sin.  That's why we are supposed to live our lives now following the New Testament, not the Old.

And no, I am no theology expert.  This is just my understanding of it.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

"My hope is anchored on the other side" -Switchfoot

Sekirei
by Nari on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I'm Asatru

I really have an issue when people take that path.. and make it an excuse to be racist or hateful. *sighs*

Context is the name of the game..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:59 AM
I don't like how the USA has twisted Asatru into a weird white supremacist anti-Loki bs! I've been run off USA run sites for worshipping Loki. Meanwhile the Asatru in Iceland and Norway and the mother countries welcome me with open arms and there is no ableism, homophobia, or white supremacist bs in those traditionals
StreetsAhead
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:59 AM
I'm an Agnostic Catholic, I have issues with the hard core pro-lifers and the homophobic elements.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2014 at 12:00 PM
I just posted similarly below you. Hail Sister!

Quoting Sekirei:

I'm Asatru

I really have an issue when people take that path.. and make it an excuse to be racist or hateful. *sighs*

Context is the name of the game..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN