Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Murder, yes or no? Father who left child in hot car charged with murder

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:45 PM
  • 370 Replies

Justin Ross Harris photo

COBB COUNTY, Ga. —

The man who is accused of leaving his child in a hot car has been charged with murder.

Justin Ross Harris, 33, was charged with felony murder and cruelty to children in the first degree. He is being held at the Cobb County Jail with no bond Thursday.

According to Cobb County police, Harris was supposed to take his 22-month-old to day care around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. Police said the father forgot and left his child inside his vehicle while he went to work.

"Apparently, he forgot the child was in the car seat in the back of the automobile and went to work, left work sometime around 4 or 4:15," said Sgt. Dana Pierce of the Cobb County Police Department.

After leaving work and making the discovery, Harris pulled into Akers Mill Square near Cumberland Mall.

Dale Hamilton witnessed the emotional scene as a father realized that his child was in the car.

"I wish I could have done something, but there's nothing that could be done," Hamilton said.

Investigators said while officers were patrolling the area, they saw a crowd of people gathered around a blue Hyundai Tucson.  When officers began to investigate, they saw a child lying on the ground.

"Laid his son on the ground, started doing CPR trying to resuscitate him. Apparently the child wasn't responding," Hamilton said.

Police said Harris had to be physically restrained once it became clear his child was gone.

"There were a number of witnesses, passersby in the area who observed basically the father in a very distressed moment," Pierce said.

"He kept saying, ‘What have I done? What have I done?’ And that's all that I could ascertain that he was saying," Hamilton said.

According to the investigators, the temperature in the area was 88 degrees.

The child was pronounced dead at the scene.

by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strongforthem
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:47 PM
24 moms liked this
Negligent homicide? Murder implies intent to harm.
Willowheartsong
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Tragic. Yes he should be held accountable.
mommieof38829
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM
9 moms liked this
No I don't think he should be charged with murder. He didn't mean to kill the child. He will live with this forever.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Holy shit how do you not realize the kid is in the car before you get out??? I understand forgetting to drop off at daycare. My Dh forgot to drop Dd off at school one morning and went to work but he realized instantly that she was sitting in the back seat quietly.
anonymouss
by Aquamarine Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Not murder, no.
momto3B
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:50 PM
71 moms liked this

UPDATE: http://news.yahoo.com/warrant-man-returned-hot-suv-son-inside-192313407.html

This story is being updated and if the new info is true, my statement below is withdrawn and the man needs to be in jail with the most sadistic cell mate possible. 

Justice will not be served in any way by putting this man in jail. Society will not be made better as he is not a danger to begin with. 

The man likely wants to kill himself right now in his grief. He made a terrible mistake, but he was not drunk, he was not doing something illegal, he was going to work and he simply forgot. 

I have forgotten to pick my son up at school more then once. The schedule was changed and it was not my normal routine. Did I feel like a horrible mother - absolutely - thank god my child was safe. If this dad did not normally take his child to day care and the baby fell asleep - he just forgot. 

Sad, beyond tragic, horrific, but not criminal in any way. 

Del672
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:51 PM
2 moms liked this

crying

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM
7 moms liked this

Very tragic. The guilt would be punishment enough.

HaYouFail
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM
14 moms liked this

I think he should be left in a hot car to die.  I don't give a shit if he "forgot".  His son died a horribly slow, painful death because this man couldn't pull his fucking head out of his ass.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM
3 moms liked this

Negligence, maybe. He shouldn't be convicted of murder

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)