Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My daughter told her great aunt to mind her own business...wdyt?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 434 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'm furious at her but she doesn't seem to care.

She's 30. She's gorgeous, thin, has a great job, owns her own house, dresses nicely. She's just a bit of an immature party girl...always has been, despite my efforts. She's always at an after work happy hour, always at expensive dinners and the like. I guess she's grown up from her frat party days but still. She rarely has a boyfriend, just dates casually and doesn't pursue it. Says she likes being single and unattached and free to "do her own thing". She's stated she would absolutely never have kids.

We live in the south, and it's not uncommon for people in their early 20s to be married, even late teens. Being totally single at 30 isn't common at all here. Tonight, my daughter came to visit. My aunt was here. She's 75 and a little old fashioned, the "speak your mind" kinda lady. She started asking my daughter who she's seeing, what her beaus name is, etc. My daughter said she's not dating anyone, and doesn't care to be at the moment. My aunt seemed surprised and said "well, you're not getting any younger and those looks won't last forever". My daughter kind of laughed and made a joke about Botox but my aunt said "I can't imagine what could be wrong where you wouldn't be married by now". My daughter gave her a death glare and said "I can't imagine why you think this is any of your business. You don't need to imagine, because it's none of your concern". Neither said anything after that.

Dinner was tense after that. My daughter didn't apologize. I was embarrassed because my daughter spoke to her elderly aunt with such sass. My daughter is shrugging it off and saying "I don't care how old she is. She was being rude".

Wdyt? Would you say anything else to her? I don't have the energy for a fight tonight.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DameDeLaMer
by (that girl) on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:31 PM
16 moms liked this
Well it isn't any of the aunt's business but your dd didn't have to be so rude about it either.
purple_panda
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:31 PM
84 moms liked this

It isn't your aunts business, being old doesn't give someone the right to be a bitch.

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM
9 moms liked this
Lol your daughter was right... old or not that was rude of her aunt
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM
2 moms liked this
That age doesn't mean you can be rude. This is the aunts fault.
nopenope666
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM
17 moms liked this
It isn't any of the aunts business and being old isn't an excuse to be rude. Don't dish it if you can't fucking take it.
julie515
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:34 PM
3 moms liked this
Daughter was right.
mizkriz73
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:35 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with dd. She could have been nicer,but she shouldn't have to please anyone. She is an adult if she likes being single then what is the harm?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:35 PM
12 moms liked this
She had every right to defend herself. I never understood the "oh their old so that can be rude to everyone" kind of mentality.
Your dd has the right to live her life as SHE sees fit.
You need to bugger off
Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I fully back your daughter. It is NO ONES business, she is an adult.

Your aunt, her great was rude your daughter doesn't oh her shit.

Quoting Anonymous: I'm furious at her but she doesn't seem to care. She's 30. She's gorgeous, thin, has a great job, owns her own house, dresses nicely. She's just a bit of an immature party girl...always has been, despite my efforts. She's always at an after work happy hour, always at expensive dinners and the like. I guess she's grown up from her frat party days but still. She rarely has a boyfriend, just dates casually and doesn't pursue it. Says she likes being single and unattached and free to "do her own thing". She's stated she would absolutely never have kids. We live in the south, and it's not uncommon for people in their early 20s to be married, even late teens. Being totally single at 30 isn't common at all here. Tonight, my daughter came to visit. My aunt was here. She's 75 and a little old fashioned, the "speak your mind" kinda lady. She started asking my daughter who she's seeing, what her beaus name is, etc. My daughter said she's not dating anyone, and doesn't care to be at the moment. My aunt seemed surprised and said "well, you're not getting any younger and those looks won't last forever". My daughter kind of laughed and my aunt said "I can't imagine what could be wrong where you wouldn't be married by now". My daughter gave her a death glare and said "I can't imagine why you think this is any of your business. You don't need to imagine, because it's none of your concern". Neither said anything after that. Dinner was tense after that. My daughter didn't apologize. I was embarrassed because my daughter spoke to her elderly aunt with such sass. My daughter is shrugging it off and saying "I don't care how old she is. She was being rude". Wdyt? Would you say anything else to her? I don't have the energy for a fight tonight.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM
7 moms liked this
Well the aunt was being pretty rude basically saying something is wrong with her. Some if us women just don't feel the need to have a man and we have to hear some really rude things from other women about it all the time. After awhile it just starts getting under their skin and they kind of get snappy about it. Maybe she shouldn't have been snappy at an older women but she wasn't wrong in what she said either.

My suggestion is the next time starts harping on her try and change the subject and avoid the conflict altogether.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)