Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Im fine with how i handled it ..but wondering how you would have handled this?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:00 AM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

i bought a digital photo keychain yesterday for $10, came home and downloaded about 60 pictures onto it.

An hour later i had my 12 yr old DD come up to me (she had just left the coffee shop that is in front of our building) holding the keychain in her hand and she proceeds to tell me that she doesnt know how it happened but it broke (the keychain part...) so its pretty much useless to me now

i calmly asked her 'is it yours?' she said no ....

i calmly asked 'did you have permission to take it out of the house?' of course she said no ...

i than told her that because she took it upon herself to take something that wasn't hers and it broke in her possession than she was to pay me back for it by doing the load of laundry(a mix of mine, hers and SO) worth $3 , she was to help with ALL of the dishes that night worth another $3 (we had yet to wash the daytime dishes or have supper) also she was to clean the bathroom worth $4.

i know , its a short list..but we live in an apartment there wasnt much that i could think of that she could do.

i was initially going to just take the $10 that she has already earned previously and have it to where she couldnt go to the dance tonight , however..i know my DD and i know that it wouldn't have done much to get my point across, so i decided to make her work it off instead.

but for future ideas, i thought i would ask what you would have done?

by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:02 AM
Nothing its not like she purposely broke it those things are very cheaply made
PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:03 AM

That sounds good to me.

PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:03 AM
3 moms liked this

*headdesk* That is hardly the point...

Quoting Anonymous: Nothing its not like she purposely broke it those things are very cheaply made

SmallTown_Momma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:04 AM

Quoting Anonymous: Nothing its not like she purposely broke it those things are very cheaply made

oh i didnt punish her because she broke it , the punishment was because she took something that wasn't her's without permission....if it had been in the house and she had been sitting at the table with it and it broke, than i wouldn't have punished her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:06 AM
Why? If she were an adult and had picked it up and accidently broke it you would have said oh that's OK. At least she didn't try to hide it and was honest about it.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Wife.N.Mommy94
by Bone's Wife on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:06 AM
It's a Key chain. I think it's kinda stupid to take it that far for a key chain.
SmallTown_Momma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:08 AM

Quoting Wife.N.Mommy94: It's a Key chain. I think it's kinda stupid to take it that far for a key chain.

Quote:

i than told her that because she took it upon herself to take something that wasn't hers and it broke in her possession....

it wasnt the object it was the principle lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:10 AM
I can see how it happened though she us looking through the pics as she walks to ciffe shop gets coffee and drops keychain or it simply breaks. Not a big deal IMO and no my kud wouldn't have been punished. And I am a very strict mom of five.

Quoting SmallTown_Momma:

oh i didnt punish her because she broke it , the punishment was because she took something that wasn't her's without permission....if it had been in the house and she had been sitting at the table with it and it broke, than i wouldn't have punished her.

Shelhead
by Michelle on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Would've done the same think. It's not acceptable to take something that's not yours. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:12 AM
2 moms liked this
So if you took something that didn't belong to you without the owners permission and brought it back broken, you wouldn't feel any responsibility to replace it?

Is that seriously what you are saying here??

Quoting Anonymous: Why? If she were an adult and had picked it up and accidently broke it you would have said oh that's OK. At least she didn't try to hide it and was honest about it.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN