Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I suspect there is mold growing in my house...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
There is an area of wall beneath the windows in the dining room that is soft. When if rains it gets worse. It seems all mushy. We have been here three years, and it is an on going issue. Since we moved in I have had ongoing problems with upper respiratory infections, worsening of my asthma, and swollen lymph nodes. My recent allergy test shows that I have an allergy to several different kinds of mold. Also, my newborn son is always very congested, and my dd had started having nosebleeds.

We rent this place, and dh thinks I am just being paranoid. I really want him to get the landlord to get this checked out. He refuses to bring it up to the landlord. I don't have a way to contact the landlord. This is really pissing me off. What would you do? How would you handle it?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Why can't you contact the landlord yourself?  They can test the air and also look behind the soft area.

MeaganP
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:56 AM
You have a leak in the wall and if it wet mold will grow. Call the landlord he will fix the leak and the mold
MommyChance
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:57 AM
The landlord should be informed of the soft area. There's so much that could be wrong, he should have the chance to fix it before it gets worse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:57 AM
I don't have his number, and dh doesn't think I need it. He wants to handle everything.

Quoting CoolRelax:

Why can't you contact the landlord yourself?  They can test the air and also look behind the soft area.

Sportbominable
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:58 AM

I don't understand why you can't contact the landlord yourself. We have mold in our bathroom and our entire basement, but we are not allergic and suffer no ill effects from it. Its just really gross. Luckily its not the toxic kind. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:58 AM
He was told shortly after we first moved in. All he did was have dh put some caulk around the window.

Quoting MommyChance: The landlord should be informed of the soft area. There's so much that could be wrong, he should have the chance to fix it before it gets worse.
PoisonEyeV
by _ on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess I would be really annoyed that my husband didn't believe me...how can you just brush that sort of thing off? There is enough evidence going on that something is growing...ffs. Your dh is an idiot..

Anyways, is there a way you can call someone on your own, NOT your landlord, but someone to come out and inspect things...give you a write up about what's going on and then show PROOF that he cannot deny?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:59 AM
Because I don't have the landlords number. Dh feels he is the one to deal with him and won't give it to me.

Quoting Sportbominable:

I don't understand why you can't contact the landlord yourself. We have mold in our bathroom and our entire basement, but we are not allergic and suffer no ill effects from it. Its just really gross. Luckily its not the toxic kind. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:00 AM
That's a good idea. Someone said they can test the air? I may call around today and see what I can do.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

I guess I would be really annoyed that my husband didn't believe me...how can you just brush that sort of thing off? There is enough evidence going on that something is growing...ffs. Your dh is an idiot..

Anyways, is there a way you can call someone on your own, NOT your landlord, but someone to come out and inspect things...give you a write up about what's going on and then show PROOF that he cannot deny?

vamaria
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:00 AM
3 moms liked this

You have a leak allowing water to come in. If your dh doesn't inform the landlord, you could be held liable for property damage. Would that motivate him to do something? HTH!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)