Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

New nurses or nursing students

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
What the hell is wrong with me? So I was a medic in the USAF for six years, got out to pursue my nursing degree. I am trying to apply for the nursing program and I look great on paper. Straight A's, volunteer, and I have my CNA and EMT license among other certs I've acquired. BUT the entrance exam to even apply for nursing school is killing me. I mean I only have to get a 70% on reading comprehension and I have failed two times. The last time I got a freaking 69%. The test isn't even about nursing, just random crap. How do I pass the science and math portion with flying colors, but not the reading part? I feel like such a loser and my test anxiety is through the roof every time I take it.

I SUCK AT STANDARDIZED TESTS! Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Loveavision
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:55 AM
I was always the exact opposite. I was awesome at reading comprehension/essays, but SO terrible at math and science. Good luck!
BeAmour
by Tonya on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:55 AM
Is it the TABE?
ChicagoMimi
by Mimi on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:57 AM
Are you talking about the TEAS test? If so, there are study guides you can buy. I have my old one somewhere but it's about 3 yrs old
vamaria
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:58 AM

People are generally either better at math or at reading, but there are few who are equal at both. I saw it in my students all the time. So, this just means you are a math person. :)

That being said, have you tried going to a tutoring program? Frequently they can help you prepare for entrance exams, both with the actual skills tested and with testing skills.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:58 AM
I wish I was the opposite bc the only score that matters is the reading. Thank you! I'm going to study my butt off

Quoting Loveavision: I was always the exact opposite. I was awesome at reading comprehension/essays, but SO terrible at math and science. Good luck!
Racer15
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:59 AM
I didn't need an entrance exam, my ACT scores were enough. Does the college you are applying to offer any kind of prep course for the exam?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:59 AM
The TEAS test.

Quoting BeAmour: Is it the TABE?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:00 AM
Yes ma'am that's the one. I bought a study book and another one was given to me by another classmate. I'm hoping 3rd times a charm.

Quoting ChicagoMimi: Are you talking about the TEAS test? If so, there are study guides you can buy. I have my old one somewhere but it's about 3 yrs old
progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:01 AM
I'm not a nurse or nursing student, but I'm a wonderful test taker - especially in reading.

I read the questions first and then decide if I'm going to read or skim through the passage. If I have to reorder paragraphs or rewrite sentences, I read the whole passage. If I have to answer questions, I skim. When it comes to using context clues to figure out a meaning of a word, I just read that paragraph or sentence cluster.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:02 AM
It's kind of new at this school. Doesn't matter what the ACT score is, still have to take the TEAS. I live in Texas so it's probably different than other states.

Quoting Racer15: I didn't need an entrance exam, my ACT scores were enough. Does the college you are applying to offer any kind of prep course for the exam?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)