Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do parents keep making excuses for their kids?!?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 230 Replies
16 moms liked this
I really don't get this new era where parents make excuse after excuse for their children's irresponsibility.

My most recent example:
My 11th grade student has to retake the state Spanish final which he failed last year. He's in a new Spanish class (different level), but has to retake that exam in addition to his regular final for my class. I called his mother 2 weeks ago to notify her that he had not been prepared for the oral presentation part of his final and also to let her know which room he needed to report to. The mother became extremely defensive stating that her son should not have to take 2 finals and that's why he hasn't been prepared. Then she proceeds to ask me if I've been reviewing with him for the retake. The answer is no because the curriculum for the new class is COMPLETELY different but that I had told him to attend the exam's review sessions and that she should have received from the counselor the list of dates which are also posted on the school's website. She tells me that by the time she thought about it the sessions were over. I then offered to give him extra help during finals week on my own time. He scheduled to come see me last Friday at 10:00. I made copies of packets and such, but he never showed up. Today he shows up at 11:30 with no appointment and tells me he forgot to come last week. Well guess what? I did not have the time for him today because I was scheduled to proctor an exam. I gave him the packets and sent him on his way. His mother then calls later in the afternoon to complain that I did not give him extra help and now he's going to fail (the test is Monday). How the heck is that my fault???? I was nice enough to offer the extra help (to her son who has avoided doing assignments all year). Yet he was irresponsible and didn't show up. I just can't....
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Bump
kam0011
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:45 PM
75 moms liked this
The sense of entitlement nowadays is overwhelming. Everyone thinks you owe them something. I completely agree with you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:46 PM
8 moms liked this
People are just assholes.
katemckenzie
by Kate on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM
18 moms liked this
Ugh. THAT is the definition of a snowflake.

Is his mom going to call up a business and bitch them out every time her son is denied a job because he showed it unprepared for the interview?
smalltownteddy
by Fletcher on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM
11 moms liked this
This actually happened at a fast food joint I worked at. Chick was a horrible waitress, so we switched her to hostess, and she was horrible at that too. She got fired after actually arguing with a customer over an order error. Her mommy called us to ream my manager for firing her precious 23 year old snowflake from her first job...

Quoting katemckenzie: Ugh. THAT is the definition of a snowflake.

Is his mom going to call up a business and bitch them out every time her son is denied a job because he showed it unprepared for the interview?
anonamama
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:52 PM
4 moms liked this
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
prdmama1154
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Can't save'em all I suppose

katemckenzie
by Kate on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:54 PM
WOW

Quoting smalltownteddy: This actually happened at a fast food joint I worked at. Chick was a horrible waitress, so we switched her to hostess, and she was horrible at that too. She got fired after actually arguing with a customer over an order error. Her mommy called us to ream my manager for firing her precious 23 year old snowflake from her first job...

smalltownteddy
by Fletcher on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Yeaaaaah. It's a good thing she got fired or we probably would have destroyed her fragile psyche over that.

Quoting katemckenzie: WOW

Quoting smalltownteddy: This actually happened at a fast food joint I worked at. Chick was a horrible waitress, so we switched her to hostess, and she was horrible at that too. She got fired after actually arguing with a customer over an order error. Her mommy called us to ream my manager for firing her precious 23 year old snowflake from her first job...

grannywilson
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:07 PM
9 moms liked this

DId you see the Dr Phil Show a couple of days ago?  There was a mother that did everything for her kids including homework. She thought by doing this she was helping them.  Failure was not an option in her book.  He explained that failure is a reality and that is how we learn.  Take care dear teacher.  You can only do so much.  If you have given everything you can, he is not entitled to tests after hours just because he forgot.  e-mail the counselor and explain the situation.  If he fails, he fails.  Let his mother review things with him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN