Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids on motorcycles

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:11 PM
  • 52 Replies
So everyone here seems to be into car seats and safety. I have a question related to that. With the warm weather, I have recently seen kids riding on the backs of their parent's motorcycles and one in a sidecar. What do you ladies think about that?
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Flouncy
by Cat Herder on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:15 PM
Bump!
caligirl7613
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Mobile Photo

Everything has risks. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting a child under age 10 ride on public roads, however my DS (6) has a dirtbike and ridea with proper safety gear in controlled environments. This is right after my dad bought it for him. My father made him stip it down, clean it thoroughly and rebuild it before he could begin to ride.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:20 PM
I would not let a young kid ride on a motorcycle. If they are not old enough to ride without boosters and car seats then chances are they are not mature enough to be on the back of a motorcycle.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:22 PM
I think if you're a parent and you ride a motorcycle at all you're irresponsible and dumb. If you ride it with your kid on the back or a damn side car you're a reckless idiot and someone should call CPS.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:22 PM
The law here states that as long as their feet can touch the pegs, the can ride as a passenger. My oldest is big enough now, but DH will still only ride him around our neighborhood and the yard. I trust him judgement, so whenever he is ready, I'll be ok with it
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:23 PM
I agree, that's just common sense. If they aren't old enough to ride their own motorcycle then they are too young to ride on one.

Quoting Anonymous: I would not let a young kid ride on a motorcycle. If they are not old enough to ride without boosters and car seats then chances are they are not mature enough to be on the back of a motorcycle.
Anonymous
3 moms liked this
I do not ride a motorcycle, but how does riding one make a parent irresponsible and dumb?

Quoting Anonymous: I think if you're a parent and you ride a motorcycle at all you're irresponsible and dumb. If you ride it with your kid on the back or a damn side car you're a reckless idiot and someone should call CPS.
Anonymous
We don't have any law like that here. You're lucky. I saw a girl on a motorcycle once who looked like a preschooler and didn't even have a helmet.

Quoting Anonymous: The law here states that as long as their feet can touch the pegs, the can ride as a passenger. My oldest is big enough now, but DH will still only ride him around our neighborhood and the yard. I trust him judgement, so whenever he is ready, I'll be ok with it
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:24 PM
My DS was riding a dirt bike at 6. I'm okay as long as he stays off the roads and rides fully protected. He's extremely competent on it, even at 6. Of course, he taught himself to ride his bicycle without training wheels at 3. Oddly enough, I'm not a fan of street bikes and hope he never wants one. I don't trust other drivers.
SerpentsKiss
by Erica on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM
2 moms liked this

How does riding a motorcycle make a parent dumb or irresponsible? A close friend of mine has been riding motorcycles for years. He is a great parent. His wife, mom, dad, and grandfather all ride as well.

Quoting Anonymous: I think if you're a parent and you ride a motorcycle at all you're irresponsible and dumb. If you ride it with your kid on the back or a damn side car you're a reckless idiot and someone should call CPS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)