Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I actually feel physically ill. Is this punishment to harsh? *Update page 19*

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM
  • 251 Replies
2 moms liked this

My oldest daughter (almost 13) has been very lucky in the bedroom department. She not only has one of the biggest bedrooms, but since there is an almost 6 year age gap between her and my middle daughter, DH and I agreed it seemed only right to give her one of the two extra bedrooms with an en suite bathroom. My two younger DD's share an interconnecting bathroom between their bedrooms, my younget son has the third en suited bedroom, and everybody else uses the family bathroom.

In our house, even though we have a cleaner come twice a week, it has always been our childrens responsibilty to clean their own bedrooms, and over the last year or so that responsibility has extended to DD's bathroom as well. 

I never had any reason to believe that this would be an issue. DD has always kept her room immaculate. She is typically one of those people with which everything has its place and everything is in its place. This would extend to other areas of our house like the playroom and family room. So I always assumed this would extend to her bathroom as well, and never felt any reason to check it after the first couple of weeks.

However, this morning DD borrowed a scarf from my wardrobe and didn't give it back before heading out to our local stables, however texted me to tell me it was in her bathroom. 

I just went to retrieve it and the smell hit me first. The bathroom is filthy, and I mean filthy. Used tissues, cotten buds and dirty clothes covering the floor, make up and toothpaste over every surface, sanitary bin hasn't been emptied, toilet hasn't been flushed (and I am not talking about pee). It is disgusting. I am disgusted by her. This is beyond a simple reminder in my book, even if a first offence.

So what I am planning to do is get in there myself later this morning, strip it down and scrub it. Then I am going to lock it for a month. She will have to share the family bathroom with her brothers and stepsiblings. And I am going to make her clean it once a week for that month under my close supervision. My hope is that she will learn that it's no fun sharing and cleaning up after others and learn to appreciate the privilege she has been given that her siblings would kill for.

Do you think this is appropriate punishment?  

by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM
20 moms liked this
No, but she would be cleaning it. I wouldn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Sure

abrittani
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM

No it seems pretty legit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM

completly appropriate:)

faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM
30 moms liked this

SHE cleans it and then you lock it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM
13 moms liked this
Yes. But im still stuck on the fact that your 13 year old child has a master bedroom with a bathroom and you have to share a family bathroom. I mean, what?
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

She should have to clean hers with you. Teach her your standards. Maybe you already have but obviously it didn't take. Then ground her from it for a month.

tinybluemoon
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM

No, we have an en suite as well. I meant two extra en suited rooms.

Quoting Anonymous: Yes. But im still stuck on the fact that your 13 year old child has a master bedroom with a bathroom and you have to share a family bathroom. I mean, what?

Ginger0104
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM
3 moms liked this

She would be cleaning it.  And then it would get locked for a month.  It's not anywhere near too harsh. 

grnhsegoddess
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM
If make her clean it, then proceed. That's disgusting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)