Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Calling All GERM EXPERTS! Help me get CLEAN!

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:50 PM
  • 7 Replies

Today in health class at nursing school we watched this video. >>HERE<< It is a video from ABC news that shows the difference between proper hand-washing (20 seconds or more) and the kind of hand washing most Americans do (10 seconds or less). In it she pours Ecoli all over her hands and then first washes her hands for 10 seconds and rubs a petri dish, and then does it again but this time washes the correct way for 20 seconds and again rubs a petri dish. When they compare the petri dishes the results are amazing. So gross. I have definitely started washing my hands like crazy today!

But here's the thing. I came home and was washing dishes in my sink (because my house has no dishwashing machine, nor room for one) and I started thinking about those petri dishes. I soaked all my dishes in my big plastic dish pan and I poured Alchohol in it hoping to disinfect them. My question is how do I get dishes properly clean and free of germs while washing by hand? Do I wash each dish for 20 seconds? That is a LOT of water. Is it ok to soak them like I've been doing?

Also, how often am I supposed to disinfect my son's toys? (He's 13 months)  How do I properly get the floor free from germs when I mop? Oh God THE GERMS! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! *side eyes repeatedly*

by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
HipsterElephant
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:58 PM

BUMP

HipsterElephant
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:13 PM

bump

Medic32
by RN=Rescue Ninja on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM
Stop obsessing. You will be in big trouble as a nurse of you obsess like this. You will be exposed to any net of body fluids in your future. Just follow proper guidelines to protect yourself.

Use one capful of bleach in your rinse water.

averagemama0609
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:17 PM
I don't think germs cling to dishes the way they do to our skin, our hands especially. That's what I tell myself anyway. Heh heh.
Toys I only washed after they were sick or if they had a friend over. Mine are 4 and 7 now so toys don't get washed anymore.
MeeshMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Disinfect your sink regularly. You'd be surprised what vinegar can do. And it's non toxic. If you have a separate tub to soak the dishes you can sanitize that daily. It's a lot of work though. Look up ways to sanitize your sponge too. You can microwave it and zap the germs. Tiny Trace amount of germs are good for our immune system though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Hot soapy water for your dishes.  Unless his toys are bath toys and he accidentally poops in the water, I wouldn't worry about regularly disinfecting them unless some kid comes over to play and sneezes all over the toys.  Being exposed to germs keeps our immune system healthy.  We have bacteria naturally occurring on our bodies.  I use bleach to disinfect my sink.

mary716
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:57 PM
You can always put a small capful of bleach in the dish water, just make sure to rinse them really really well. My husbands cousin does this, it even removes the smell of egg off plastics. I soak my cutting boards in the same bleach water mixture then rinse really well before sticking them in the dishwasher as for kids toys, I dont do it any more as my kids are older and rarely play with toys (besides my son and his legos, but those arent toys those are collectable building supplies as he would say lol) id fill the tub up with the hottest water possible and use maybe a half cup of bleach and let them soak about 45 minutes to an hour, then I'd rinse them and let them air dry. Bleach and me...we are bffs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)